Tyre change.... when...

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
My rear K3 is nearing the end of its life. I have a track day next Friday, and I need to do 450 miles before then.

There's enough life in the tyre to do either the track day or the long ride....but I'm not sure it'll do both.

So.....your thoughts please; save the tyre for the track day, and replace it afterwards, or take the S1 for the ride and then get a new one for the track day?

Cheers

Rick

PS its not really a full on trackday, it's an IAM thing at Thruxton. They want us to ride at '80%' to ensure we learn...even 80% will give the tyre a good workout though

I would probably do the ride, then change them and get them nicely scrubbed in at the IAM day. Tyres that are about to go off on a track day won't help you ride well, and will probably go off quicker than you'd expect when on track (diminishing returns on grip). Nothing wrong with new tyres on a track, best place for them IMO!

edit... And I'd change both tyres together, not just the rear.

Last edited:
I would probably do the ride, then change them and get them nicely scrubbed in at the IAM day. Tyres that are about to go off on a track day won't help you ride well, and will probably go off quicker than you'd expect when on track (diminishing returns on grip). Nothing wrong with new tyres on a track, best place for them IMO!

edit... And I'd change both tyres together, not just the rear.

I agree, but I would just swap the rear of the front is good.

Back