Ticking valve train / exhaust butterfly issue

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
So mine's developed a ticking which seems to change pitch and frequency with revs. Almost like a dizzy tick.
After a few searches...it could be the cams or the exhaust butterflys...ace. I guess a call to the local dealership is in order.

It's a 2012 facelift, 8000miles, lets hope either way the dealership are kind...it's out of warranty, recently.

Need it working for 25th of June... heading to Brands Hatch GP circuit.

Yeah can check your self if its the exhaust butterfly. take the tank cover off and start the bike... then pull the cable so there is tension on the cable and if the noise goes away then its the exhaust butterfly :adoration:

Booked in for the 12th of June...but yep I'll try some diagnotics this weekend - thanks for the tip on how to do the exhaust test.

Currently in a quandry about the warranty...it's just elapsed :-/

Think they all have various amount of valve ticking and tapping, well my 15 does.

I think it's worth a check - I've really not noticed it much before, but my usage has change massively recently. Lots of getting her hot and bothered in traffic...low revs.

I could accept it if removing the exhaust and fitting a full Akro/Arrow/Yoshi was the fix ;)

Unlike most (all?) Japanese 4's the S1000RR has 16 tiny cam followers (which permit smaller camshafts). They'll surely make a bit of a racket which will change pitch and frequency with revs!! If you want valve train noise try something like a 1984 GPZ900R. You can't hear yourself think!

I'm going to cancel the visit to the dealership. It's not really loud enough to cause concern, I think maybe it was just louder that night fo some reason, maybe the night air and less traffic made it suddenly seem noisey. Listened to it (ear to the block) after the hot 'n' bothered commute and could just hear the normal valve train clattering.

Will keep an eye/ear on it...

Latest posts

Back