Suspension - again!

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sockets

Reaction score
Got my 2012 model booked into MCT Suspension t'row after a few upgrades - ie: BST's and straight through Akro.
Been fiddling with rear shock settings and to be honest have found it a bit of a pain in the arse!
Anyone changed their rear shock yet?
I have read about the 'sport' shock which Nitron make and seems good value at a tad under £400 (about a third of an ohlins!) and really easy to set up and ok for road and track - apparently!
Look forward to hear from anyone who has views/ideas.

Taking mine to the dealers this Saturday
I didn't have enough tea and biscuits
The guy that got me my bitubo shock also said the nitron shock was good value
And he's been a spammer chucker at build base for quite a few years now

I changed mine for a Maxton GP10. Only lives on track, but very happy with it, copes quote well with the cack handed 2010 TC.

Very simple to swap too if you were having a go yourself.

ive fit a ttx...best money ive spent so far..well worth the money.i couldnt get the oe rear shock to move,it was way too stiff even when all adjusters were wound off.

Took my 2012 to MCT today and let him fiddle about with OE suspension.
It now feels alot better and the adjustments bear no resemblance to how the owners manual suggest you set it up ie: not the same settings top and bottom on the front and likewise on the rear.
I watched the technician from a couch in the workshop as he talked me through everything he was doing.
As well as asking my rider weight he said it was also quite important to take rider height into account (not mentioned in the manual).
During the set up he also checked my wheel alignment which was out even though the chain adjusters were equal either side!
This was overcome by punching a mark either side of the swinging arm once the alignment was 'trued' for future reference.
The technician mentioned that it was not uncommon for new bikes to leave the factory like this - it only cost £15 to have this simple proceedure done if you have laser alignment technology.
To cut a long story short - even if your adjusters appear to be set correctly your wheels may be out of alignment!
All in all my bill for suspension set up and wheel alignment cost £110+ VAT - well worth it for piece of mind alone.
After the technician had taken it for road test with the new settings he commented, grinning 'what a bike' (nice).
He also mentioned that he would be more than happy to sit near the front of a 'fast group' trackday with these settings as well as giving me some other setting on paper should I wish to experiment.
An interesting and informative morning even if I am only lounging around in the 'inters' group on track days!

Hi Sockets - sounds like you are a happy man and money well spent.
I'm interested in how different it ended up being from the BMW standard/recommendations, so what numbers did he dial into your suspension then?
...and if you're not shy about telling heavy and tall you are??? :smile-new:

Hi mate - no problem here goes!
I am 6ft 3in and weigh 91.2Kg and 101kg fully togged up inc helmet etc.
He seemed more interested in my weight before kit but I told him my togged up weight anyway as I thought an extra 10kg was significant.
Fork settings:
Compression bottom dial - 2 (track 4)
Rebound damping top dial - 7 (track 8)
Preload (17mm socket or plastic one in tool kit) - 4 turns in.
Static sag - 26mm (this is the cable tie one I think)
Shock settings:
Low speed 3 (track 5)
High speed 3 (track 5)
Rebound damping, bottom of shock - 2 (track 3)
Static sag 12mm
As you can see alot different to the manual!
I did about 150miles today after it was all set up and it felt well planted on several types of road surface and really pleased with the results.
Still a bit bumpy at the back but guess that comes with the territory if set up for fast road and track days.
Long fast bends were fantastic but may have something to do with carbon wheels!
Let me know how you get on bud?

Hi Sockets, kind of you to put up this advice with the settings - espec. as I got mine from dealership with FULL Preload on both front and back wound in!!
Am a bit lighter than you but with heavy kit,will try your settings as a good guideline, but can you just clarify for me , when you say front preload,4 turns in, do you mean 4 complete revolutions from fully unloaded (completely out), and thus how many "rings" are showing above fork tops/what distance from base of fork top to flat top of adjusters. Similarly, for the rear preload, how much thread ( can be seen in visible rings of thread /and or approximate measurement of thread from top of shock collar(where c-spanner fits) to bottom of "gold" shock top.......if you see what I mean ??
Many thanks for any help - going to try those on it tomorrow and shall report back -cheers, GB.

Sounds good , there must be quite a difference with 2011/2012
That would have been soft on my 2011

Hi mate - will try to get you info t'row as I have to go to the pub now but will send you msg t,row morn b4 i go out on bike.

Hi fatbob - I think there is. There was an MCN article that compared the 2 models of could have been Fastbikes. Sorry I dont have a link.

Thanks Sockets, appreciate it and look forward to trying it when set-cheers, enjoy pub, going to give that a go myself!! GB.

Yep very interesting, I friend of mine who knows a bit ( supports race teams etc) couldn't believe how stiff the rear was! He softened it a lot just to get the front and rear acting as one unit ( the bike compresses and rises at the same rate now. It felt good ish at Cadwell but it was to cold and slippy to get a proper feel to be honest. Looking fwd to donny in April.

Hi mate,
Preload (red adjusters on top) - I counted 3 rings showing with about another 1mm so guess the next ring is not too far into fork top.
The big rings (gold larger one) which are clamped in - not counting the very to bevel I can see 2 rings and another 2mm before it goes into the fork clamp.
Rear shock - cant really get an accurate measurement due to the physicality of it but can see 3 threads between adjusting collar and gold top of shock.
Hope this all helps and makes a difference bud.
If your struggling send me your mob no and I will txt you photos if you like.

Great Sockets-would just like to confirm what I think you have conveyed very well, belt and braces!!
If you can image,thanks so much mate- 07989 861975, cheers, GB.

Back