Some Questions Following a Test Ride

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeeboy

Reaction score
Had a test ride on a 1000rr yesterday and have to say I was very very impressed but I did have a few questions which hopefully you guys can help answer:

The rear brake didn't fall in quite the right place for my foot naturally and was pretty ineffective to be honest considering the bike had done under 1000 miles, is this normal, can it be easily solved or do you need adjustable rearsets? If it's the latter how much are these

The bike felt a bit 'bouncy' on the rear end, not unstable infact the opposite just a bit bouncy is this normal or would it just be setup on the suspension required, it was probably set standard.

The shift up the box was at times a bit clunky and on a few occasions took 2 goes to hook up into the next gear, I've read about problems with the quickshifter, is this the symptom people are talking about? Does it get better or worse with use, what are people doing to resolve the problem with the QS?

While stationary with the bike at tick over the fairing was vibrating again not a problem but is this normal?

Finally if I buy a new one, what are the extras, bits and bobs that are a must have?

Thanks in advance

I have a '12 with the same rear brake angle issue. There appears to be some adjustment in it but I'm not sure how much yet. I'll be looking at it more closely this weekend. The gear selector was too high for me too leading to some difficulty shifting accurately. I have angled it down by adjusting the rod and have much better gear control now (all on the stock rearsets).
Bouncy is a personal opinion - can't comment.

I can't say mine vibrates that harshly at idle, but it will vibrate a bit. The buzzing through the bars tends to peak at 4k rpm on a lot which is less noticable if you've the core strength to keep the weight off the bars!

Sport with Heated Grips is usually all you need as that gives you the DTC/ABS etc. Modifications are all personal preference from there. Tail Tidy is a minimum surely?

In all riding modes, save for Slick mode, the front and rear braking is linked, i.e. when you apply the front brake the bike automatically applies some rear brake too, if it feels the need. So there is very little need to apply the rear brake seperately as well as the front under normal braking conditions.

If you're considering buying a new bike, you might want to hang on till next year as there is a lot of talk about a new model for 2015. If you can't wait make sure you spec the heated grips if you ride all year round. Well toasty!

I found the rear brake position a bit weird coming from a fireblade, but soon got used to it.
My test bike was like riding a plank of wood, guess it depends on how it was set up.
Changed my suspension to suit me, and its fine now.

Back