So this is Christmas.......

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickS1K

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Bah Humbug

In an attempt to stop the usual parade of sub-standard pullovers and bottles of challenging alcohol, I find myself creating a list of bike related things for my family to 'surprise' me with. One of the things I'd actually appreciate is all the gubbins we need to keep French policemen happy, which I believe means

1. Breath kit (easy, send em to Halfords)
2. Reflective jacket/gillet...which I'll get meself thanks
3. Bulbs. The S1K need H7s at the front, an LED W5W at the back (I think), and I have LED indicators.

So, for Q3, the question is.....does anyone know anywhere that does bulb kits, or makes it easy for non-bike-savvy family members to order? e.g. GetGeared seem to do H4 kits, but not H7...

Cheers

Rick

You can't get a replacement led unit for the rear light (it's a complete unit), but for the front, could you just buy a couple of H7's from Halfords and give them to your family to wrap up (seeing as you're expecting them for presents anyway)? lol :)

RickS1K link=topic=1886.msg17070#msg17070 date=1355180646 said:
Bah Humbug

I find myself creating a list of bike related things for my family to 'surprise' me with. One of the things I'd actually appreciate is all the gubbins we need to keep French policemen happy, which I believe means

1. Breath kit (easy, send em to Halfords)
2. Reflective jacket/gillet...which I'll get meself thanks
3. Bulbs. The S1K need H7s at the front, an LED W5W at the back (I think), and I have LED indicators.

So, for Q3, the question is.....does anyone know anywhere that does bulb kits, or makes it easy for non-bike-savvy family members to order? e.g. GetGeared seem to do H4 kits, but not H7...
I dont think ya going to need the reflective jacket/vest for riding in France, or the bulb kit.
As for the breathalyser I would rather just pay the 11 euro fine than have to carry one of those,

Have you thought about asking for a Puncture repair kit? I can recommend this http://www.craftyplugger.com/
or hows about,
Michelin Regional Maps (France depts) are a good present and available from WHSmiths.
Small can of Chain Lube,
A subscription to a Bike mag
A couple of cans of WD40
Ear Plugs

It is now law in France that you have to carry a reflective vest and a twin breathalyser kit at all times - the vest is not for when riding but in case of a breakdown, bloody cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Dartanion link=topic=1886.msg17096#msg17096 date=1355246786 said:
It is now law in France that you have to carry a reflective vest and a twin breathalyser kit at all times - the vest is not for when riding but in case of a breakdown, bloody cheese eating surrender monkeys.
This is taken from Bike Normandy Newsletter French motoring laws.

There's a couple of highly publicised laws to which the UK press have given different advice, so we checked the official French Government website earlier today and according to that...

Breathalyser kits - you have to carry one which is NF marked (but it is recommended that you carry two). The fine of 11 euros for not carrying one was going to be introduced in July 2012, then this November but it's been put off yet again - like a lot things in France. It isn't now going to be introduced until 1st March 2013 - because of the unavailability of the kits!

It's popular belief in the UK that, from January, all motorcyclists will have to wear a hi-viz vest or at least 150 mm sq of reflective material on the front and back of their jackets. However this is not correct. The directive has been cancelled and there aren't any plans to introduce this requirement in the near future.

And another thing... You do not have to carry a spare bulb or warning triangle as these laws do not apply to motorcycles.

We're sometimes asked if guests can bring a motorcycle which has a daytime only MOT - the answer is no, you have to ride with a headlight on at all times in France.

Every rider / driver from the UK must have a full licence - provisional UK licences are not valid.

http://www.bikenormandy.com/book-a-motorcycle-tour-in-europe/advice/

Nice one Phil. There's a lot of confusion around this especially the hi viz bit which is as you say actually reflective material not florescent but it sounds like its not happening anyway. They can chase me down the road next year.

All

Thanks for the comments. Good news that the silly 'reflective' law has been cancelled. I also wasn't aware the bulb thing didn't apply to bikes.

....of course, it doesn't make this ******* list any easier to write, but I can deal with that ;D

Cheers

Rick

The info in my previous post was gleaned during a recent booze trip a couple of weeks ago. Lots of notices in the euro tunnel terminal stating that it was now law for the breath kits and reflective vest - confused, I sought some advice from one of the customs officials who confirmed this was the case and that he had heard stories that the frog police were routinely stopping UK plated vehicles soon after getting off the train.

Incidentally, it also states that this is the law written in a notice on the pack of two breath kits I was then obliged to purchase.

Clearly looks like the stores in the terminal are cynically using this to sell loads of kits and vests to the less informed of us - twats

Dartanion link=topic=1886.msg17237#msg17237 date=1355781597 said:
The info in my previous post was gleaned during a recent booze trip a couple of weeks ago. Lots of notices in the euro tunnel terminal stating that it was now law for the breath kits and reflective vest - confused, I sought some advice from one of the customs officials who confirmed this was the case and that he had heard stories that the frog police were routinely stopping UK plated vehicles soon after getting off the train.

Incidentally, it also states that this is the law written in a notice on the pack of two breath kits I was then obliged to purchase.

Clearly looks like the stores in the terminal are cynically using this to sell loads of kits and vests to the less informed of us - twats
Sounds about right... I guess I will find out what the law is when I get tugged, have only been stopped once in over 12 years of riding in Europe..

The ruling regarding hi visibility clothing is on hold at the moment and is not enforceable. Don't know about breath tests but that is an 11euro fine so I will take a chance.

My hint at prezzies (hopefully, now i have a van)include a front wheel choc, loading ramp, bar tie downs, voucher for any participating trackdays or similar.................... ;D

Latest posts

Back