Possible new s1000rr owner questions

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sd_polini

Reaction score
So I'm finally buying my first litre bike and that would off course be a s1000rr :eek:

It would be a second hand from about 2010-2011 (due to budget limits)

Is there anything I would need to pay certainly attention to when buying a second hand s1000rr?
A well known belgian motorcycle ecu tuner told me only to buy one that is made after 2013.

Any horror stories out there that I should know about?

thx
Steve

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum. I have deleted your other welcome post and moved this one to the welcome area as it is a nice post and tells us a little about your options.

Just to note that you are from Belgium as per your other post.

Great decision on your choice of bike :). Are you likely to buy private or from a BMW dealer?

Ah ok , no problem :)

Wel I was looking at a bike from a dealer, but it was sold yesterday and I was planning on going this weekend.
I looked on the belgian BMW second hand site to see if there are any other on sale, but nothing shows up

SoI might go private. On saturday I might do an "tour de Belgique" to owners who are selling their bikes.
That is if they answer my messages ;)

I first rode a cbr600rr then a gsxr 750, So now its time for a litre bike, I'm looking for more torque (if thats the right word)

Always found the s1000rr supersexy, but it was a bit out of the budget.
The latest Japs are fugly, the italians I dont trust, So I saved a bit more and now are planning to get a s1000rr

But hope to find out here if I buy one what to look out for

Hi and welcome
Some of the early bikes (2010 -2011) had camshaft problems which means a top end rebuild.
Apparently it's rare but it's an expensive fix (€1800ish)
The big sign is a ticking coming from the engine(valves)
If I were you I'd buy from a dealer I'm glad I did as it happened to my bike.
I have a 2011 model and have used it everyday since buying it last September and since the rebuild nothing else has gone wrong
Best of luck

Hi and welcome
Some of the early bikes (2010 -2011) had camshaft problems which means a top end rebuild.
Apparently it's rare but it's an expensive fix (?1800ish)
The big sign is a ticking coming from the engine(valves)
If I were you I'd buy from a dealer I'm glad I did as it happened to my bike.
I have a 2011 model and have used it everyday since buying it last September and since the rebuild nothing else has gone wrong
Best of luck

So you have done the top end rebuild?
Under warranty or recall or somehthing?
If a bike already has +6000 miles on it and if you dont hear the valve ticking. Can it still happen or are you save?

Thx

Bought my bike from a honda dealer
Had it a week and brought it back to them
They sent it to bmw who completed the top end rebuild paid for by the honda dealer
I bought the bike with 19000km
The ticking noise is quite loud so you'll definitely hear it

Hi Steve,

I have owned my 2010 bike from new (March 2010), it has been serviced as per the book and the only fault has been the Left hand Switch Gear. This was replaced by BMW free of charge approximately 2 years ago, they replaced both left n right as it was a known fault.

When you go to look at a bike turn up unexpected, it is best to listen to a Cold engine start up, it might rattle for a split second then go, this is ok (imo) if it rattles any longer walk away.

I have just had my 18000 mile service done, the mechanic said there was a very small amount of wear on just 2 lobes on the cam he added that its nothing to worry about as it was very small amount.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Forum.

Phil

Latest posts

Back