Pitlane limiter setup

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Mac

Reaction score
Ive heard that the S1000RR can be set up with a pitlane limiter if it has the HP ECU upgrade.

I partake in endurance racing so this would be a great tool for me, however I'm unsure if my bike has the upgrade or not...

It has the option of SLICK mode, and apparently has the badovini mapping on it. it also has the full akro system fitted.

I did try engaging first gear and holding the start button in but it still revved and no telltale shown on the dash.

How can I find out if I have the option or not?

Do most of you that race use a diagnostic kit of some sort to plug in the bike etc?

This is all fairly new to me and Im still learning my way around the BMW!

cheers!

Mark

Pitlane Speed Limiter

The Pitlane Speed Limiter on pre-2015 models is part of the HP Race Calibration Kit and can be set using the software supplied with it. The HP Race ECU contains only the race mapping and parameter changes for the DTC and engine modes. If you have a 2015 model with the Race Package installed the Pitlane Speed Limiter comes as standard and can be configured in the Race Setup Menu.

Re: Pitlane Speed Limiter

The Pitlane Speed Limiter on pre-2015 models is part of the HP Race Calibration Kit and can be set using the software supplied with it. The HP Race ECU contains only the race mapping and parameter changes for the DTC and engine modes. If you have a 2015 model with the Race Package installed the Pitlane Speed Limiter comes as standard and can be configured in the Race Setup Menu.

Cheers for the info!

How can I tell if I have the HP Race ECU or not? Its a 2010 bike. I can definitely select slick mode, but after reading up that might just be the performance kit upgrade. The original owner said it had the badovini map in it. So Im assuming some software changes have been made...?

I think you'll have to find the ECU and physically check what it is. I would assume that you got a bunch of receipts with it? I'd be looking for Race ECU's and Calibration Kits, did you get any plug-in tools?

Also, Slick Mode is on ALL of them. You need a "key" (3pin plug) to enable it but that's it. It gets fitted, by the dealer, after the first service.

Re: Pitlane Speed Limiter

Cheers for the info!

How can I tell if I have the HP Race ECU or not? Its a 2010 bike. I can definitely select slick mode, but after reading up that might just be the performance kit upgrade. The original owner said it had the badovini map in it. So Im assuming some software changes have been made...?

Hello. Slick is a mode on all the bikes which is enabled by inserting the slick plug into the bike after its first service at 600 miles. So yours will have obviously been done, it is standard. Slick is designed for track use so you would experience less or no TC and less ABS in that mode, along with quicker throttle response.

If you have the HP Race ECU installed the mapping for each mode is with the slick parameters, which can then be changed with the calibration kit(s).

This gives you the detail of the race ECU, which sounds like what you have (i.e. you have the full exhaust system).
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/fi/fi/i.../ecu/hp-race-calibration-kit-2.html&notrack=1

I am guessing here but suspect that the 'badovini' map may have been put on using the calibration kit for one of the modes.

You might want to speak to BMW in the Uk and give them your VIN so they can advise on what race parts have been supplied for that bike.

HP Race ECU

You will need to physically check the ECU. Some have HP branding on them whilst others do not. For those that don't you will need to contact either BMW Motorrad UK or BMW Race Support and they will be able to confirm whether it is a HP Race ECU or OEM ECU by the serial number.

Assuming your bike is Superstock spec,I would think it still runs the std ecu but was remapped by BMW Germany.They were the ones who designed that map.
The early remap(2010) had pit limiter built in but was banned by BSB for 2011.
It's also possible that the std ecu has been unlocked and the badovini map has been installed-but 2011 on.
If the ecu is unlocked then you only need to find someone with the calibration kit to enable it.

Thanks for all the informative answers!

I'll check out the ecu code, and check with BMW.

Its seems its either a race ecu, or an unlocked ecu (most likely) either way I will need someone with the calibration kit to set the limiter up.

how much is the calibration kit? or is there an aftermarket alternative??

If you find someone with the calibration kit(probably most dyno operators)they should be able to get straight in to the ecu,assuming it's unlocked.
It is possible that your ecu was flashed by BMW Germany,if so,it is possible it could still be locked.

Back