Newbe

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WaveBlaster

Reaction score
Hello Forum! I bought my 2011 Grey bike in March with only 1,500miles and it should read 6,100miles after traveling around France, but someone stole the dashboard on Friday in London:livid:. So it will sit in my garage unusable until I can afford ?780.00 for a new Dashboard programed with my VIN in Germany. Luckily me mileage is safely stored in the ECU. The dash does not have a screw like my friends GSXR's that had their dashboards stolen at the same time. Our dash boards just snap a small spigot and pull off! (I wrote an email to BMW and they have entered my findings regarding a weakness in the Dashboard spigot fixing into their 'Document system' for future consideration). When I get a replacement I will be designing an Aluminium strap to make the theft take longer than 10 seconds! There is a gang operating in London at present. They used a moped and a car the doorman of a nearby restaurant told us. take care.:encouragement:

Hello Forum! I bought my 2011 Grey bike in March with only 1,500miles and it should read 6,100miles after traveling around France, but someone stole the dashboard on Friday in London:livid:. So it will sit in my garage unusable until I can afford ?780.00 for a new Dashboard programed with my VIN in Germany. Luckily me mileage is safely stored in the ECU. The dash does not have a screw like my friends GSXR's that had their dashboards stolen at the same time. Our dash boards just snap a small spigot and pull off! (I wrote an email to BMW and they have entered my findings regarding a weakness in the Dashboard spigot fixing into their 'Document
system' for future consideration). When I get a replacement I will be designing an Aluminium strap to make the theft take longer than 10 seconds! There is a gang operating in London at present. They used a moped and a car the doorman of a nearby restaurant told us. take care.:encouragement:

Bastard's bet they are doings shit loads everyday.

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=4&NU=10&M=38&Ct=QA

Used - Instrument cluster | INS21877 ?380

Thank you for the link. They are helpful but don't have stock and sadly no facility to sync the clocks to the ECU, as they are supply only stockist. Even if they did having dissimilar VIN's between the ECU and dash would prevent any updates BMW say. BMW at Welwyn Garden City have had 5 other bikes that have had Dashboards stolen in London recently and Suzuki and Triumph even more. A GS1200 lost its Dash in the Same location ('Tinseltown milkshake bar', EC1M 4DF) last week.

I heard that BMW won't sync up a set of second hand clocks, only ones brought new from BMW (surprise)!

Hi, sorry to hear about the theft, sad state of affairs. Who would want stolen dashboards?

I can confirm what 'Ducky' said. I asked Welwyn Garden City BMW if they would sync a second hand board and they said "no". They used the reason that dissimilar VIN's between ECU and Dash will not receive updates. www.milagecorrection.com said you have one guess of the mileage stored in the ECU when setting up a second hand dash and it has to be within 100 miles. He also said that if anyone tries to change the memory on a BMW dash by uploading a new file that they must back the dash up by downloading the original config. Having the original backup helped a guy who's dash got 'screwed up' Due to his own fault not that of BMW.

If you have a GS911 diagnostic tool it will report the mileage stored in the ECU and the Clocks, these have to be within about 5 miles of each other, otherwise you get the error on the dash (this does not stop the clocks from working though).

Is this error the 'Flashing mileage"? Can a GS911 program or is it a reader only? I cannot find anyone on the .co.uk or .com forum who has synced mileage yet. The cost of a GS911 + 'used dash' could be more than a new Dash.

That's correct, the GS911 doesn't have the ability to change the mileage (imagine all the clocking that would go on). AFAIK it is a dealer only job unfortunately. :(

I am told that the mileage on the dash has been successfully altered but the ECU mileage record has never been changed. Just rang BMW and they said they can get the new Dash installed within a week from Germany. Just need the money now.

shit news :( would be interesting to see what kind of strap you come up with to secure the dash better and it still looking OK

Back