Mode Switch repair (2011 S1000rr)

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airman

Reaction score
Thought I'd add some findings - May be old news at this stage, but I've not found anything other than "Return it to the main dealer ... they should replace it under warranty"
Well my dealer ball parked the mode switch at about ?300 without blinking an eye, he wasn't sure but suggested that I bring in the bike and they'd replace it.
So after giving them a mortgage for the ECU I decided that they could go .."away"

Mode switch stopped working.Stuck in one mode.
So took it apart thinking the contacts were damaged (tore the boot with my efforts)
Long story short. The 'tracks' seem to be printed. Nothing wrong with the contacts. I can only assume the paint is either breaking down or sparse.. either way, the contact was lost in the printed 'wire' not the button, springs etc.

Cut into the resin / silicone over layer with a blade to expose the metal terminals.
High temp - Soldered a bridge wire to bypass the track.
Fitted - 100%

If its a repost or old news - feel free to delete, just pissed with people having to pay for what is a poor design IMO.
The 'mess' is actually the resin cut away, not solder or contacts.

Just a bit of shameless self promotion... But if anyone's nervous about trying this out themselves then I can do it for ya ;)

As Airman has said it is usually the printed circuits at fault but I have also had to replace buttons is the past.

b6d03ac5140c66fc977015eb8b2ea932.jpg
ba2feb1e6116ed08cf8e0f59e44c62d2.jpg

Shameless promotion offers an opportunity to actually repair the issue.(better than the original) Replacing it is now the best our BMW experts can offer for an arm and a leg. in my case anyway. The art of fault finding is a dying skill. Good offer Stephen.

Hi, as Stephen already knows following the same issue of being stuck in one mode, I've had to replace my entire switch gear at a cost of ?138 from a BMW main dealer as I couldn't find anything online for my 2010 at short notice,(I was due at Snetterton and needed a quick fix). It's great that you can offer a specific service Stephen, I just wish I'd have had more time as I would've sent it up to you for sure.

Latest posts

Back