Installing Front wheel axle

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwobbler

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to get the front wheel axle back in. With out much luck!!

With the carbon front wheel there is a loose spacer in the hub sitting between the two wheel bearings. This may be the same for the forged wheels too, I'm not sure. When you try to install the axle this spacer, as its loose, drops down and blocks the hole the axle slides into. I've tried to position the spacer exactly in the middle of the hub but as soon as I move the wheel, at all, it drops down and stops the axle from going in.
I'm sure anyone that's taken these wheels on and off a few times will have a technique to help keep this spacer lined up so the axle can be installed? Please??!!

Easy one.... one of your wheel bearings isn't seated properly. If both bearings are seated properly, the spacer is centred and will not drop. The spacer should just touch both bearings without side loading the bearings. Don't worry, your wheel isn't going to break up or fall off. Just tell your dealer and they'll sort it.
In the meantime, anything that has similar diameter to the axle inserted from the other side will keep the spacer aligned and as the axle moves in, it'll push the temporary aligner out, if you see what I mean.. J

Last edited:
Thanks Jamie, that makes sense. I used a shaft from a socket set through the fork leg on the ABS side. Not easy but it worked. I never found it easy to get the axle back in on my Gen 3 either. This Gen 4 is even worse!

So the spacer that is loose in my hub should actually be fixed in place by the two wheel bearings? i'll point this out to the dealer next time its in.

Thanks for the help.

To be honest, you only need a socket that?s the same diameter as the bearing ie the metal outside edge or if the bearing is definitely proud of the wheel, a flat edge ie a piece of wood. Then put the axle in the loose wheel from the opposite side, so the spacer is centred but the axle isn?t fully through the opposite bearing. Then give the socket or wood a gentle tap, with a rubber or leather mallet. you?ll hear the note change when it seats properly. Do the same to the opposite side. I can completely understand if you don?t want to do this with your carbon wheels. J

Latest posts

Back