Gear change with new boots

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loupe

Reaction score
There's been a bit of discussion regarding gear changing on the new RR. I didn't have a problem with it and managed to change no bother.
While getting my rear tyre today (?200 fitted Marzy) I treated myself to new Sidi Mag1 boots which are very comfortable and look the part.
When I went to change gear on leaving, it was like stirring porridge with my foot, couldn't change gears, missed them,fluffed changes and was a general nightmare ride home!
I couldn't believe the difference with a different pair of boots on (sidi ST goretex boots originally)

There's been a bit of discussion regarding gear changing on the new RR. I didn't have a problem with it and managed to change no bother.
While getting my rear tyre today (?200 fitted Marzy) I treated myself to new Sidi Mag1 boots which are very comfortable and look the part.
When I went to change gear on leaving, it was like stirring porridge with my foot, couldn't change gears, missed them,fluffed changes and was a general nightmare ride home!
I couldn't believe the difference with a different pair of boots on (sidi ST goretex boots originally)

Its a good point Loupe. I bought some waterproof RST boots for doing a trip with and had exactly the same experience, missing gears etc. if anyone's having gear selection issues it's definitely worth trying a different make of boot if you can. Just for the record my Alpinestars are the dogs! Great to change gear with, comfy to walk in and have never squeaked! Just a bit of a weird fastening system if I had to be picky! Lol

This is a common problem, many riders think boots are boots, but, this is not the case. Thicker soles, thicker tops, less flexibility, it goes on.....

I'll see how I get on with them. The Mag1 boots are black and white while the goretex ones are all black. Just fancied a funky boot lol.
With what I've spent recently I'll be getting the tipex out on the goretex boots rather than spend any more money.
Unfortunately my funky look wasn't missed by my wife's eagle eye and she clocked them straight away. :culpability:

I recommend well used squeaky Alpinestars SMX boots in red (important that) or TCX urban trainer boot thingys for silky gear changes. Will try polished (important that) black leather Clarks shoes for gear change slickness when I get in from work tomorrow :)

Try changing the lever position if you have changed your boots your new boot might be slightly thicker or thiner

Ill persevere for now as I'm sure it will be fine once I get used to them. They feel like a pair of clowns boots just now.
if not I'll change the position

Hi,
i had the same issue, I finally got the Daytona's i have wanted for years and noticed the gear change felt odd, mine is a 2015 with Bonamici rear sets and race pattern. My cure was just to adjust the lever a little and stay away from the clutch lever, even the lightest touch on the clutch lever causes missed shifts in my experience.

cheers,

mark

is the shoe related to the issue of finding it frustrating to get the bike into neutral

Missed this Loupe. ?200 is about right I'd say mate. Think the standard is Supercorsa SP, did you have the same fitted?

Missed this Loupe. ?200 is about right I'd say mate. Think the standard is Supercorsa SP, did you have the same fitted?
Yes the same as the factory tyre. There was a bit of a discussion on what the reference was as there are a few SC tyres.
It was the SPV2

The first time I went out on my bike with a new pair of A stars SMX Plus I could not change gear - at all. Must have looked like I was having a fit or something on the bike. I was jerking up and down in first. They were great after I'd walked about in them for a few mins :)

Latest posts

Back