Erratic idle/Knocking noise

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

R41nD0g

On the way home from work, bike running sweetly, pulled off motorway and into local traffic - bike started running rough under 4k rpm - was snatchy, almost stalling, at times like TC/rev limiter was on and exhaust note changed to almost sounding like a misfire. I could ride through it - after 4k the problem went away and it was smooth as you like again.

Once I got it home I noticed the idle was erratic - have taken some video - the sound is crap from my phone, but if you watch the tacho needle - it bounces around and then sort of lurches a few hundred rpm every so often - this is in time with a knocking from the top tight of the engine which you can't really hear on the video.

No PC installed, all standard bar Akrakpovic slip on. Nothing changed recently...

Any ideas? Was hoping for something fairly innocuous like blocked breather/fuel pump etc. but that knocking is giving me the fear...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acg8x1ibu907yys/20150629_201323.mp4?dl=0

No worries , probably some water in fuel. Drain it all out and put in fresh from a busy petrol station, should be fine. Water is not so good at combusting and can cause knocks and erratic idle.

UPDATE.
Turns out it was a dodgy coil pack, being replaced today so hopefully back on the road for the weekend.

Back