Dashboard lights

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreudianSlip

Reaction score
Before i get into this, Happy New Year to you all 😀

I decided to take the bike out tonight (2015 s1000rr) to test out the shitty helmet cam i bought myself for Christmas. Weather is damp, miserable but at least the fog has lifted.

I'd done about 3 miles when I noticed the ABS light flashing. It happened a couple of times, followed by the traction control light blinking (no noticeable rhythm). They go off, all is normal again, then on a straight bit of road, no braking, the abs light flashes again. It does this, occasionally alongside the traction control light for the next 5 or so miles. Again, no reason that i can see to be activating either system.

Then, the engine mgmt light comes on, and stays on until I stop at some traffic lights and turn the bike off and on again.

The bike is normal again for about the next 3 miles when the abs light flickers to life again. I was close to home by this point so decided to garage it until I can figure out what's wrong.

Any ideas ( other than take it back ... which I'll consider as soon as they're open )

Ta.

Is your battery fully charged? I had some odd electrical issues after last winter that were caused by the battery being slightly flat..

Is your battery fully charged? I had some odd electrical issues after last winter that were caused by the battery being slightly flat..

Thanks for a quick response.

Its a good point. I haven't had the bike on charge, and it's been bitter for the last few nights but it started without any hesitation, and it had no odd stutters until about 5 mins into the ride. I have only done short journeys on it since i bought it, so it may be a bit low on oomph.

Warning Light

If the warning light for the engine or electronic system is lighting up I would be inclined to have the bike checked over on BMW's diagnostic system for any faults.

Yep mine started ok too but then would cut out and the engine management light come on, apparently the ECU needs a certain amount of juice to function correctly, if it doesn't get what it needs it throws a bit of a wobbler. Deffo worth trying before heading for the dealers (my dealer had no idea what was causing it...)

When checking the battery terminals make sure you check to make sure they are tight. Unless you pull out the screw driver and check them, sometimes they might look fine, but when you go to tighten them you'll realize that they are loose.

Update: took the seat off (the 2 torx screws were not even screwed in fully!) to find the positive terminal wobbly. Not by much, but I guess it only takes a momentary disconnection to cause problems. The battery was perfect according to my 10 yr old oximiser.

I've tightened the positive terminal bolt and jus nipped up the negative one just in case and will leave it on the oximiser until it's reasonable to go out again.

I'll call BMW anyway on Tuesday to at least get their view (and log the fault).

Thanks far advice so far.

Update: took the seat off (the 2 torx screws were not even screwed in fully!) to find the positive terminal wobbly. Not by much, but I guess it only takes a momentary disconnection to cause problems. The battery was perfect according to my 10 yr old oximiser.

I've tightened the positive terminal bolt and jus nipped up the negative one just in case and will leave it on the oximiser until it's reasonable to go out again.

I'll call BMW anyway on Tuesday to at least get their view (and log the fault).

Thanks far advice so far.

Same as mine was, sounds like you found the problem

Latest posts

Back