BMW alarm make

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
It's time to renew my insurance and I am having difficulties with choosing the alarm on the comparison sites. Only one of the major sites has BMW factory fitted alarm and immobiliser listed. All the others have every alarm ever made but nothing for BMW. If I enter unknown alarm and immobiliser the quotes go through the roof compared to say just choosing a data tag red C1 for instance. Does anyone know what the correct make is for the 2015 alarm and immobiliser.

Its not thatcham approved so doesn't appear in most lists. Closest match is 'other Factory fit'. Pretty much pointless including on the quote.

- Sent from Mobile

My dealer mentioned that it wasn't approved so I didn't get one. Decent ground anchor,chain and lock have made more difference to my insurance in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As above posts, my understanding from the dealer, BMW do not have their units tested by Thatcham, therefore they are not approved. I believe it is a BMW unit.

I have one fitted but it's just another small layer of security as the immobiliser and physical security probably are more effective.

The BMW alarm is made by Meta, it's of a high enough standard for thatcham but BMW won't pay thatcham to test it? That's what I've heard anyway :)

The BMW alarm is made by Meta, it's of a high enough standard for thatcham but BMW won't pay thatcham to test it? That's what I've heard anyway :)
Maybe the Thatcham element is not such a big deal in Germany or elsewhere but BMW's failure to get it approved by Thatcham means every rider in the UK is likely paying a higher insurance premium for what is already an expensive bike to insure. Luckily I am a member of the IAM and got their Insurance for ?230 as they generally will beat most quotes. My renewal from Bennetts was ?430 with a much higher excess.

Latest posts

Back