Advice wanted on Roads in Yorkshire.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All, me and 4 friends will be riding up to North Yorks (Hawes ish) from Essex in June, I got to thinking that although ive been oop North quite a few times on me bike, there could be lots of great roads that I have not tried or have missed all together including (bike related) places to visit.

All recommendations greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

What route do you normally do? I'm more than happy to recommend some roads you may have missed that are near your planned itinerary.

meet some locals off here and get them to show you round? Police can be shit hot round hawes way. Try Devils bridge as well

If you are going to Hawes from Essex that's some trip. Do not miss the Peak District on your way through.... It's 20 mile from me and can't believe how lucky I am to have it on my doorstep. The famous cat and fiddle run is speed camera 'd a lot of the way now though so don't make a special detour just for that one road, but still good if you are close anyway. North Peak District is the best but you can snake from bottom to top if you are going to Yorkshire dales anyway.

Lincolnshire Wolds are an equally fantastic area for riding too IMO. The only bummer with everything in this fair and pleasant land is the effing weather!

If you let us know what your plan is so far we could probably offer more specific routes or detours? I keep learning new roads I didn't know existed. There's plenty of hidden gems round these parts!

On a side note - I may me missing something but what's the big deal with Devils bridge? There's always too many bikes and traffic and often police?

Last edited:
Lincolnshire Wolds are an equally fantastic area for riding too IMO. The only bummer with everything in this fair and pleasant land is the effing weather!

+1, great roads in Lincs, leave A1 at Pboro and head up to Brigg via Louth, it's a hell of a lot drier than Scotland though Soof (!) but of course not as tantastic as Essex :tan:

Last edited:
Hi Phil,

What route do you normally do? I'm more than happy to recommend some roads you may have missed that are near your planned itinerary.
Thanks Soof,

I usually start Masham, Leyburn, Richmond, B6274 across the A66 across A67 to Staindrop, Eggleston to Stanhope to edmundbuyers, B6306 to Corbridge. onto Chollerford and Bellingham, kielder water, B6357 to old castletown to A7, longtown to brampton onto A689 to Alston to Middleton teesdale and back via staindrop richmond to Masham.

I also ride over to the lakes via Hawes, kendal over Kirkstone pass then A592 to Penrith across M6 up to Hartside cafe, down to alston and back on same route to richmond masham.

Sorry if thats a bit involved

Phil

If you are going to Hawes from Essex that's some trip. Do not miss the Peak District on your way through.... It's 20 mile from me and can't believe how lucky I am to have it on my doorstep. The famous cat and fiddle run is speed camera 'd a lot of the way now though so don't make a special detour just for that one road, but still good if you are close anyway. North Peak District is the best but you can snake from bottom to top if you are going to Yorkshire dales anyway.

Thanks for that, I usually ride up on the East side missing all the Dual carraigeways apart from Humber bridge.

+1, great roads in Lincs, leave A1 at Pboro and head up to Brigg via Louth, it's a hell of a lot drier than Scotland though Soof (!) but of course not as tantastic as Essex :tan:
Thanks mac,

I usually ride back roads up to Wisbeach, boston, frithville, horncastle, B1225 to brigg, across Humber bridge, b1248 to WETWANG and Sproxton then over to Masham.

Thanks mac,

I usually ride back roads up to Wisbeach, boston, frithville, horncastle, B1225 to brigg, across Humber bridge, b1248 to WETWANG and Sproxton then over to Masham.

If instead you go from the Humber up to Stamford Bridge, then over to Scarborough, visit Oliver's Mount. Then up to Whitby and back across and down to Helmsley. If you like the idea of that I'll post the road details.

I usually start Masham, Leyburn, Richmond, B6274 across the A66 across A67 to Staindrop, Eggleston to Stanhope to edmundbuyers, B6306 to Corbridge. onto Chollerford and Bellingham, kielder water, B6357 to old castletown to A7, longtown to brampton onto A689 to Alston to Middleton teesdale and back via staindrop richmond to Masham.

Thats a great route, I do most of that myself regularly. Mixing it up a bit you could always drop down from Middleton to Brough and down to Kirby Stephen, then Sedburgh, then back across to Hawes and then Masham.

Also the Hawes to Settle route is a nice run to add if you have time.

Now back in Essex, what a great trip! We saw loads of S1000RR's on our trip I guess some must have been members on here. We passed one chap (thursday) on a newish HP4 the B6357 to Newcatleton road, saw a couple at Fimber Cafe yesterday around lunch time didnt get to talk, we all had luggage on our sportsbikes.

Glad you had a good trip Phil, it was the week to go for sure seeing the weather!

Back