2017 Tour to the Pyrenees

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skel

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
As this forum has been a great help over the past twelve months. I just thought I'd give something back to you with a bit of insight to our tour now we're back.
A few reviews along the way then I'll pop some pic's on later too.

So the tour was started in Geneva the on through France and into Spain for the Catalunya GP. Then the Pyrenees- both Spanish and French sides. Then back up to Geneva to drop the bikes off. 16 days in total.

Equipment
2016 Bmw S1000RR running Metzler M7RR with hepco/becker sport rack. Kriega US20 and US10 packs with a Held tank bag.
2016 Bmw S1000R running Metzler M7RR with seat and pegs plus a Kriega US30 and US10. (typical woman always needs more)

Now this subject has caused a bit of a stir amongst a few of my mates as they class it as cheating but as far as I'm concerned If I'm traveling that far south its the only way I'll go. : )
Bikeshuttle were absolutely superb.
Dropped the bikes off in the p***ing down rain (from the back of a van lol) At the time there was a massive storm over the UK... Not only did our bikes go but all our kit and luggage too. Helmets, boots, bags all get put in to cases and loaded with the bikes. So when we went off to catch our flight, all we had was our US10 bag for our overnight. Mint!!
Only hiccup was the delay because of the storm in the channel that stopped all ferries for a good few hours. Yeah bikes were a bit late but that can't be helped as it delayed our plane too. 10 out 10 for the Bikeshuttle service. They make it very easy.

Another subject that has stirred emotion is our digs.
A big big fear for me was the safety of our bikes overnight. (we've all read the stories) So I looked at quite a few options and came up with Eurocamp. What a find that was... Static caravans on secure sites. Clean,tidy and comfy beds. Great showers and best of all peace of mind for the bikes.
It averaged out including linen and towels over 14 nights to just under ?50 per night. Some campsites were awesome some were average but all worth that money.

The bike and kit.
I cannot fault any of it.
The bikes performed faultlessly even in 34 degrees. Must admit they do get a bit warm though..
The Mrs had a bit of a sore arse ( I took padded cycling shorts ) and I would get a numb thumb pad (throttle hand) after about 200 miles but that was it.
Kriega bags worth every penny and so easy to use. Quick to attach to the bike and also quick to release to get you to the pub quicker.
Hepco and Becker rack is the way forward. Even the Mrs will now be investing after seeing how stable the luggage was on mine.
M7RR tyres. I have to admit i was a bit sceptical as I loved the K3's and the feedback they give. I however needed something to last quite a bit longer than the 1500 miles I got out of the standard set. I had absolutely nothing to worry about. Going through the Spanish Pyrenees I was getting 50 degrees lean angle without trying. The Mrs was scraping the toes of her boots at the same time, never doubting the grip levels of these tyres. 2700 miles in and still loads of life left. Over the moon.

The holiday!!
I'll be brief as I've probably already bored you all to tears..
Places I would definitely head back to.
French towns
Castellane. Lovely little town with some stunning roads around it.
Annecy. Just beautiful
Gorge Du Verdon (Stunning)

Spain
The road N260 in the Pyrenees. Over 200 miles of bliss..
Ainsa. Great little stop over. Big thumbs up - particularly the medieval town up the hill for tea and a pint :)
Catalunya GP

Switzerland
Geneva. You can smell the money.. lol

As I said at the beginning just wanted to give a little back so hopefully this will help a few like others on here helped me.
Ill attach some photo's with tap talk later as I've still not bloody figured out how to do it any other way..

As this forum has been a great help over the past twelve months. I just thought I'd give something back to you with a bit of insight to our tour now we're back.
A few reviews along the way then I'll pop some pic's on later too.

So the tour was started in Geneva the on through France and into Spain for the Catalunya GP. Then the Pyrenees- both Spanish and French sides. Then back up to Geneva to drop the bikes off. 16 days in total.

Equipment
2016 Bmw S1000RR running Metzler M7RR with hepco/becker sport rack. Kriega US20 and US10 packs with a Held tank bag.
2016 Bmw S1000R running Metzler M7RR with seat and pegs plus a Kriega US30 and US10. (typical woman always needs more)

Now this subject has caused a bit of a stir amongst a few of my mates as they class it as cheating but as far as I'm concerned If I'm traveling that far south its the only way I'll go. : )
Bikeshuttle were absolutely superb.
Dropped the bikes off in the p***ing down rain (from the back of a van lol) At the time there was a massive storm over the UK... Not only did our bikes go but all our kit and luggage too. Helmets, boots, bags all get put in to cases and loaded with the bikes. So when we went off to catch our flight, all we had was our US10 bag for our overnight. Mint!!
Only hiccup was the delay because of the storm in the channel that stopped all ferries for a good few hours. Yeah bikes were a bit late but that can't be helped as it delayed our plane too. 10 out 10 for the Bikeshuttle service. They make it very easy.

Another subject that has stirred emotion is our digs.
A big big fear for me was the safety of our bikes overnight. (we've all read the stories) So I looked at quite a few options and came up with Eurocamp. What a find that was... Static caravans on secure sites. Clean,tidy and comfy beds. Great showers and best of all peace of mind for the bikes.
It averaged out including linen and towels over 14 nights to just under ?50 per night. Some campsites were awesome some were average but all worth that money.

The bike and kit.
I cannot fault any of it.
The bikes performed faultlessly even in 34 degrees. Must admit they do get a bit warm though..
The Mrs had a bit of a sore arse ( I took padded cycling shorts ) and I would get a numb thumb pad (throttle hand) after about 200 miles but that was it.
Kriega bags worth every penny and so easy to use. Quick to attach to the bike and also quick to release to get you to the pub quicker.
Hepco and Becker rack is the way forward. Even the Mrs will now be investing after seeing how stable the luggage was on mine.
M7RR tyres. I have to admit i was a bit sceptical as I loved the K3's and the feedback they give. I however needed something to last quite a bit longer than the 1500 miles I got out of the standard set. I had absolutely nothing to worry about. Going through the Spanish Pyrenees I was getting 50 degrees lean angle without trying. The Mrs was scraping the toes of her boots at the same time, never doubting the grip levels of these tyres. 2700 miles in and still loads of life left. Over the moon.

The holiday!!
I'll be brief as I've probably already bored you all to tears..
Places I would definitely head back to.
French towns
Castellane. Lovely little town with some stunning roads around it.
Annecy. Just beautiful
Gorge Du Verdon (Stunning)

Spain
The road N260 in the Pyrenees. Over 200 miles of bliss..
Ainsa. Great little stop over. Big thumbs up - particularly the medieval town up the hill for tea and a pint :)
Catalunya GP

Switzerland
Geneva. You can smell the money.. lol

As I said at the beginning just wanted to give a little back so hopefully this will help a few like others on here helped me.
Ill attach some photo's with tap talk later as I've still not bloody figured out how to do it any other way..

a07b9c9b581613258015531841a95aaf.jpg
357c58ef9acb27662c34ba6fec151157.jpg
50c44e2f6b4bf5f2278713069477a68a.jpg
9a21eb207b224d5bd6da5763b62bcae0.jpg
a899d639ec964c335cb0ed4c4b8f08c6.jpg
ff10de6b6b1c6c203deac807f3f9c997.jpg
d57dcf2f7e6b225510d7130532da94a2.jpg
1984b4ea27f663ed5a951e71cbf880fc.jpg
10891d1f5af9ce315dffcf70e1645e28.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great stuff Skel, good info for others and your photos are first class, very very impressed with the last one. It screams two people having a blast and making the most of life, with the possibility the helmet owners are having a skinny dip, lol.

That picture has real appeal, it would be my pic for photo of the month.

Well done to the both of you.

JimmyMac

Hey skel. Thanks for posting. My wife keeps banging on about taking the kids to eurocamp so next year I think we'll take the plunge, I'll take the bike though :).

Im off myself on the boat to Bilbao this time next week with a tour through Spain and Portugal. I hope the weather is as good as you got!

Great tour notes, thanks for taking the time to write them.

You sure you weren't carrying more luggage with that tank bag?! ;). How well does that bag do when it comes to fuel stops? Did you just unlatch the bottom and flip it out of the way?

Hey skel. Thanks for posting. My wife keeps banging on about taking the kids to eurocamp so next year I think we'll take the plunge, I'll take the bike though :).

Im off myself on the boat to Bilbao this time next week with a tour through Spain and Portugal. I hope the weather is as good as you got!

Hi Andy,
Best advice I can give on Eurocamp with the kids just read up on the park. Some were very quiet where as El Delfin Verde in Spain would be ideal. Not sure if you want to travel that far though. Fingers crossed for the weather and a safe trip bud. Have a ball.

Great tour notes, thanks for taking the time to write them.

You sure you weren't carrying more luggage with that tank bag?! ;). How well does that bag do when it comes to fuel stops? Did you just unlatch the bottom and flip it out of the way?

Hahaha all that was in the tank bag was our travel shite Alex.. maps, euro plugs etc.
It clipped on the bottom side and top was Velcro so just unstuck it and popped it on my seat. It's in the bin now though as I had my jacket open a bit and the Velcro wore through the material that held the zips on the bag. [emoji23][emoji23]

Great write up Skel, Mrs Mac and I visited Annecy a couple of years ago on the bike while staying near Chamonix, agree its beautiful, getting the itch to go again now

Great write up and pics Skel.. Im prepping my machine as we speak.. we're off to Switzerland in 4 weeks. Just sorted my spare fuel carriers. Oil and filter and rear tyre next and shes good to go. Looks like you had great weather. Thanks for sharing pal.

Stu

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Spare fuel carriers I love it! [emoji23]
They have fuel in Europe too Stu.. [emoji87][emoji85]
I'm sure I read your heading out from Newcastle mate if so give me a holla and I'll come an grab a coffee before you head off. Be nice nice to meet a fellow forum member. [emoji106]

Spare fuel carriers I love it! [emoji23]
They have fuel in Europe too Stu.. [emoji87][emoji85]
I'm sure I read your heading out from Newcastle mate if so give me a holla and I'll come an grab a coffee before you head off. Be nice nice to meet a fellow forum member. [emoji106]

Ideal mate I will, I think our boat leaves at 9 p.m it's a 12 hr crossing 23rd July so a Sunday night, Haha I posted up a bit about our journey to Denmark/Sweden/Norway the last time, I ran out of petrol in Lesmahagow which is just outside Glasgow and again in Germany somewhere on the same trip...so I ain't taking chances.

I think the way I have my bottles mounted is pretty nifty, I'll post up when I finish of what I'm doing.

Stuart

Thanks for the write up & pics Skel. Looks like a lot of fun.

Can you enlighten on security of Eurocamps regarding bikes. Something I worry about & would have looked at expensive hotels with secure car leaks, but 50 quid a night sounds value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up & pics Skel. Looks like a lot of fun.

Can you enlighten on security of Eurocamps regarding bikes. Something I worry about & would have looked at expensive hotels with secure car leaks, but 50 quid a night sounds value.

Hi mate,
All the camps I stayed on had 24 security on site with barriers to get in and out. No traffic is allowed on or offsite after 11pm. (Varied times on some) also your normally out of town a bit so the opportunist thief is out of the equation. Don't get me wrong nothing is 100% safe but the only time I chained our bikes up was at the GP. Hope this helps.
[emoji106]

Hi mate,
All the camps I stayed on had 24 security on site with barriers to get in and out. No traffic is allowed on or offsite after 11pm. (Varied times on some) also your normally out of town a bit so the opportunist thief is out of the equation. Don't get me wrong nothing is 100% safe but the only time I chained our bikes up was at the GP. Hope this helps.
[emoji106]

Cheers:)

Latest posts

Back