2015 luggage

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richy170

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Please can I have your views on the pros and cons of the luggage you are using on your 2015 bikes. Hopefully there should be a good selection now people have had the chance to tour. I was looking to buy the Ventura system but note you require the rear footrests for the 2015 model which I don't have.

It's not a different solution to the older bikes so all previous discussions are valid.

Does this mean that the people who use the Ventura system all have rear foot rests.

this is taken from the Ventura website:
Note:
Pillion footrests are an optional extra on the 2015 model and are required for fitting

[h=1]I've also looked at : Bags Connection Blaze Panniers For BMW S1000RR 2012-2014[/h]I don't have an HP4 but do have an Akrapovic exhaust so will I also have to rule these out.

Note: Will not work with the HP4 due to the Akrapovic exhaust.

Please can I have your views on the pros and cons of the luggage you are using on your 2015 bikes. Hopefully there should be a good selection now people have had the chance to tour. I was looking to buy the Ventura system but note you require the rear footrests for the 2015 model which I don't have.
Might be worth getting some pillion footrests to open up your options, you can always re-sell them. The '15 pillion footrests are identical to the 2012-14 models and the much cheaper 2009-11 footrests fit as well although don't look quite so good (who cares if its just to fit luggage?) as they're gloss black and more box section in appearance.

Ventura system would be the same as previous years, as would tank bags and tail bags. However, the stock exhaust on the 2015 seems to be significantly higher than previous years and looks like it would be likely to cause problems with some panniers. IIRC the blaze panniers have different arms for the 2015.

Not toured on mine yet but will be using Kriega tail packs 20+10. Got my pillion pad finally and see the eyes for hooking the aluminium hooks into and use the old strap under the seat. Hopefully will be ok !

if you have no footrests and an exhaust hanger like me; you just use the spacer washer from the kit to space out the hanger, the luggage bolts to the sub frame ( you may need some shorter bolts as the thickness of the footrest is missing but it all bolts to the sub frame where the rests would be if you had them. hope that makes sense?

Not toured on mine yet but will be using Kriega tail packs 20+10. Got my pillion pad finally and see the eyes for hooking the aluminium hooks into and use the old strap under the seat. Hopefully will be ok !

Beavis is the pillion pad to stop getting your seat cowel scratched and how many straps does it have. If only two what are you doing for the other two straps required to secure the aluminium hooks. Thanks for your input.

Might be worth getting some pillion footrests to open up your options, you can always re-sell them. The '15 pillion footrests are identical to the 2012-14 models and the much cheaper 2009-11 footrests fit as well although don't look quite so good (who cares if its just to fit luggage?) as they're gloss black and more box section in appearance.

Hi MacRR,
yes I like this idea and I'm also not worried about looks whilst touring as long as it is easily removable afterwards. Is my Acrapovic exhaust hanger the same dimensions as the rear right footrest so I can attach the Ventura rack to that instead of the right footrest? I would just need the left foot rest to attach and remove then.

Ventura system would be the same as previous years, as would tank bags and tail bags. However, the stock exhaust on the 2015 seems to be significantly higher than previous years and looks like it would be likely to cause problems with some panniers. IIRC the blaze panniers have different arms for the 2015.

Hi AndyF,
i like the additional space side panniers offer and the Blaze ones look great, especially as the arms securing them are quickly removable. However they do state they cannot be used on the HP4 due to the height of the Acropovic exhaust. I presume this means that it will also not fit a 2015 with an Akro fitted. All these manufacturers are too slow updating their information for this years bike, they've had six months.

if you have no footrests and an exhaust hanger like me; you just use the spacer washer from the kit to space out the hanger, the luggage bolts to the sub frame ( you may need some shorter bolts as the thickness of the footrest is missing but it all bolts to the sub frame where the rests would be if you had them. hope that makes sense?

Hi MikeG,
if I have understood this correctly you need the rear foot rests as the Ventura L bracket connects to where the actual pegs go as well as where it joins the subframe. Please let me know if I have this wrong. Thanks

It doesn't look like you need the pillion pegs. The brackets slip underneath them. I'd say mounting them under the blanking plates will be enough (thread length on the bolts might be the only issue.

Hi MikeG,
if I have understood this correctly you need the rear foot rests as the Ventura L bracket connects to where the actual pegs go as well as where it joins the subframe. Please let me know if I have this wrong. Thanks

The part number is same for all years. It just bolts in where footrest would go. Make sure bolt length is not too long. I put mine behind hanger. Just spaces out with ventura washer in the other bolt hole.

i'm using a Bagster tail pack (on pillion seat not cowl) and Oxford Streetline soft panniers too when i need to carry more .....all fits great except i'm using the pillion pegs to secure the front of the panniers (cable ties)....probably not essential but makes them fit rock solid. Also, Wunderlich tank bag is brilliant...doesn't get in the way at all ;-)

Just need to remember to put your chocolate treats in the LEFT pannier away from the exhaust!! ....it wasn't a pretty sight believe me! :concern:
S1000RR%20with%20luggage_zpsygbffipc.jpg

Cavey,
Is your Wunderlich tank bag keeping the rain out. I see it has a waterproof exterior and liner but that it is then let down by a velcro flap where water can enter where the zip ends. Why they didn't get the zip to go all the way round I don't know. Guys on the U.S. Forum say it's the best bag for the S1 by far, as long as you live in California!

I've done around 4K miles with my Ventura kit on my 2015. I don't have pillion foot rests. All I use are some R&G footrest blanking plate bolts I used on my 2013 bike. Its worked a treat.

Cavey,
Is your Wunderlich tank bag keeping the rain out. I see it has a waterproof exterior and liner but that it is then let down by a velcro flap where water can enter where the zip ends. Why they didn't get the zip to go all the way round I don't know. Guys on the U.S. Forum say it's the best bag for the S1 by far, as long as you live in California!
Hey Richy...yeah i agree the weakest link with regard to waterproofing is the velcro flap, but surprisingly i haven't had any problems whatsoever with water getting in and i've been caught in some serious downpours! All i can think is that they've designed it in such a way that the water drains off?? The zips are waterproof as is the lining ..... when on the move the fairing keeps most of the water off the bag anyway, but even when i left the bike parked up in the pouring rain all the contents stayed dry :) ...highly recommended!

Latest posts

Back