Rattle on Startup When Cold?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePeps

Reaction score
Just noticed a bit of a rattle for a second or so when starting my bike, gen 1 on 13k miles.
Oil has been changed every 2k miles and been warmed up properly in my ownership for the last 7-8k.

Trying to think if it's always done it as I know they have a few 'noises' normally, should I be worried?

I imagine it?s just the cam chain tensioner, they?re hydraulic so it?s not uncommon for there to be a rattle for a second when first starting the bike whilst the oil pressure rises

- Oli

Last edited:
^ what Oli said,

Had exactly the same issue on my gen 1. Nothing to worry about

I've got a cheapo end can but the headers / cat etc are standard.
Video below. Now it's in my head a little I'm panicking and not sure if I'm making it out to be worse than it is!

https://flic.kr/p/2auMpGN

if your lucky it will be the front exhaust valve. try holding a long screwdriver against the valve and starting it up from cold. my 15 plate did it.

^ thanks mate, never heard of the exhaust valve?! Any hints?!

mine was replaced under warranty, no rattle after. not sure if theres a fix for it other than replace. try to hold someting against it first to see if it stops it. mine only really did it on cold start up and once warmed up wasnt as bad.

There is a modified chain tensioner bolt if it's your chain rattling, original is black modified one is silver

Latest posts

Back