Lap timer Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAYZ123

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are any hacks / 3rd party plug in units to enable the gps lap timer on the Gen 4 bmw?

I would like this feature for track days, but begrudge paying ?700 just to see how slow I am.

Any thoughts ?

Nope (definite gap in the market) - just use an Aim Solo 2 if you want to save money.

Part of the issue is that you need an unlock code from BMW. Might be possible via a remap.

Last edited:
There probably should be an option for one without the data logging functionality. A like for like Aim Solo 2 with the capabilities for plugging in to the bikes harness is pretty much just as expensive, plus you need to mount it to the bike and that?s a pain in the arse, one more thing to have in the way.

The cost for me all in was roughly ?680 and my look upon it is I can always remove and sell it on when the time comes, make some of the money back. I did sell my Aim Solo 2 to part fund it but it is worth it, it?s great being able to utilise the lap timer function on the dash without the need for pressing the flasher and the data logging is a plus.

I have the Pz one. But it only works with the set of race buttons.
Its hit and miss. Recently found that if I delete the data from previous track it works. But if you run off the track it throws a wobbly and doesn't separate the laps anymore.

Thanks for the advice / comments above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to keep you all in the loop ?.RS2E have recommended an after market unit made by a company called Mottorad Unger. You can?t buy it online, you need to email them it?s 377 euros + vat

Some details below

bfc4b4921ebcf360d1a53c61f1d39581.jpg

a60d7c3a246b0ea7ebe7bcf2fb59c553.jpg

Lap Timer Gen 4

Just to keep you all in the loop ?.RS2E have recommended an after market unit made by a company called Mottorad Unger. You can?t buy it online, you need to email them it?s 377 euros + vat

You may want to double check if it?s definitely plug and play with the company in question. The 2D M laptrigger/datalogger needs to be activated via an ECU unlock code. This then allows the option to be selected on the dash for automatic lap times to be displayed.

thats very sneaky of BMW!! i assume anything using the diagnostic port (solo dl for example) still works ok?

thats very sneaky of BMW!! i assume anything using the diagnostic port (solo dl for example) still works ok?

yes I?d imagine so. I?m thinking the unlock code that you purchase and have uploaded is more to do with the use of the dashboard lap timer, where you have the capabilities of switching between manual and automatic for the lap timer trigger.

When you have the unlock code uploaded the plug sign appears on the dash when you are in ride mode pro, what this is actually signifying I do not know. Maybe it?s a case of now you can fit the gos lap trigger and 2D data logger and have this information available by using these, makes you wonder if the Aim Solo DL would actually work, maybe you still need to purchase the unlock code. I was waiting 3.5hrs whilst it was uploaded.

i can only assume it will as GS911 uses the same port and reads the same live data ,but you never know with these sneaky bmw chaps :)

You may want to double check if it?s definitely plug and play with the company in question. The 2D M laptrigger/datalogger needs to be activated via an ECU unlock code. This then allows the option to be selected on the dash for automatic lap times to be displayed.

You are correct ?. I sent my ECU to RS2E and spoke about wanting to use a gps lap trigger. They asked me to confirm which unit I was going to use the 2D or the moto unger unit as the ?solution for readiness of the bike will be different. ?

?..I have no idea what that means but certainly doesn?t sound as plug and play as moto unger are stating.

Rs2e have recommended the moto unger unit ?and are kindly getting the unit shipped to their office and sending over with ECU.

Aslong as our Bavarian friend the magic/ witchcraft to make everything work I will be happy. [emoji4]

6ab6c5907e7c85d9e75bed7bedc9bf31.jpg

Latest posts

Back