Plastic melted onto my can

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartb

Reaction score
Anyone any idea how to remove a piece of black plastic thats found a home on the side of my can. Looks like its flipped up from the road and melted right on to it...dont want to scratch the chrome..

Cheers

stuarts phone

Carb cleaner may work too Stuart or brake cleaner, i suspect carb cleaner will work better though as the brake cleaner these days isn't what it used to be :)

What sort of texture is your can? I find carb cleaner is too aggressive for a lot of applications, I'm sure it would stain on some cans... I usually just get the bike up to running temp and scrape off, rub any residue off with brake cleaner then polish.

Heat will definitely be the way forward Stuart, hair dryer might not be sufficient (I recall that like me you probably wouldn't have one laying about? :D ) but a heat gun will do the trick nicely, and carb cleaner sprayed on a rag rather than direct to the metal should be perfectly fine on chrome, i have cleaned wheel weight adhesive backings off painted wheels doing it like that without any problems or effects on the paint so a decent chromed finish should put up with it providing you don't scratch it :)

Lol...well Mick you know what they say about bald guys...fnaar fnaar.... my indicator...peg...etc arrives tomorrow... so Ill wait tlll fri/sat and get my ass into my garage ... my place has is mental just now... cant seem to get a minute ..working for Greg was a skoosh compared to the now...fkn nightmare

stuarts phone

Back