Gearing

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarshies

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been done to death. Direct me to a previous thread by all means. Looking to change my cogs front and back for track use. Thinking of going -1 on the front and +1 on the rear to 16/45 or even just 16/44 to start with. Has anyone changed their gearing for track use? Is it a mod worth doing? Many Thanks for any advice given. Cheers

It will all depend on what circuit you are at as to what gearing you need. I have a selection of front and rear sprockets and just change them to suit each track.

Likely to do Cadwell and Donnington more than others. Is there a combination that suits most UK tracks?

It will all depend on what circuit you are at as to what gearing you need. I have a selection of front and rear sprockets and just change them to suit each track.

Likely to do Cadwell and Donnington more than others. Is there a combination that suits most UK tracks?

I ran -1 front then went to -2 front, works fine for me at Oulton Donington and Anglesey on -2 but I only do track days not racing

Mines a 2010 with the standard ecu not flashed as far as I am aware

I have these sizes in my toolbox:

Front

Rear

What would you use at Donny, 16:46 ?

At Mugello, 16:45 or 44 ?

also, newbie question, if I'm installing 520 chain, do I need to adjust the length of swing arm or will it work fine with 16:45, 16:46 gearing ?

you say your a newbie if so dont get hung up on gearing, chains etc just ride the bike , its got loads of power on std gearing,,
Yeah, Ive read a bit of internet after I asked the question, I guess the answer is you just buy an appropriate pitched sprockets.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

What would you use at Donny, 16:46 ?

The last time I was at Donington Park I used 16/46.

also, newbie question, if I'm installing 520 chain, do I need to adjust the length of swing arm or will it work fine with 16:45, 16:46 gearing ?

I really wouldn?t worry about geometry and wheelbase measurements until your running SSTK times and looking for tenths of a second each a lap.

I really wouldn’t worry about geometry and wheelbase measurements until your running SSTK times and looking for tenths of a second each a lap.

I agree on that. Just wasn't sure whether I need to adjust it for 520 pitch chain, but it's clear now.

Chain Length

Just make sure you buy a 520 pitch chain with 120 links and you will be fine.

I have these sizes in my toolbox:

Front

Rear

How do you change sprockets? Do you have them sitting on spare cush drives for an easy swap? Or do you undo the nuts everytime you change them?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just simply undo the nuts and fit the sprocket(s) that I want to use. There?s nothing more to it than that.

I only use D.I.D 520 chains and Renthal sprockets. I?ve been using both for years and I?ve never had a single issue with either brand.

I only use D.I.D 520 chains and Renthal sprockets. I’ve been using both for years and I’ve never had a single issue with either brand.

got that. but what sprockets are made of steel or alloy ? I'm reading that alloy sprockets wear off too quickly.

how often do you change them, if ever ?

I use Renthal hard anodised Aluminium sprockets and they usually last for several seasons even with constant use. I only change them when I fit a new chain and that?s not very often. To be honest I?m not overly concerned about longevity as it?s a track bike so I just replace consumables when needed. That and I clean and lubricate the chain after every trackday.

Back