Panigale V4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Forum Moderator
Admin
Reaction score
Probably time to talk about the elephant in the room.

I always love the comments about the version a new bike replaces. And Ducati like Ferrari get praise heaped on at launch, then a new one comes along and suddenly the issues with the old model get aired, whilst the new one is the second coming.

...but I have to say I think the pesky Italians just might have something a bit good here especially if you like life at lean.

2019 will be an interesting year, with a raft of updated models coming & this will have had one years development (read warranty recalls)...

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Must admit Alex I went to see it and hear it today and OMG what a beautiful machine. Me the Mrs and the son all walked out thinking holy shit we want one of them. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems an incredible bit of kit based on the launch reviews and looks stunning IMO, it would be too focused for my needs and I'd be concerned over its fragility but I'd completely understand why someone would buy one.

Last edited:
I admire the move to a V4, but for me it should be 1000cc, not a cheaty 1100. I like knowing that the bore and stroke of my bike is the same as a factory race bike.

Sounds like they have done an amazing job on the chassis (contra rotating crank also helping) as well as move the electronics on to another level ('backing in' control for example).

Still wouldn't have one though, Ducatis just don't do it for me. Maybe if I actually rode one my opinion would change...if I could have it in black...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

All about headlines. It's only 226 hp because they have a extra 100cc.

I seen 175 kg. Yep. Dry weight. 204 all in.

It's very pretty but why not tell the truth

Must admit Alex I went to see it and hear it today and OMG what a beautiful machine. Me the Mrs and the son all walked out thinking holy shit we want one of them. [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm a bit of a dinosaur but when I was a skinny 16 year old I wanted a large capacity inline 4 with a 4-1 system on it..there was GS1000s an XS 1100 and a couple of GS 550s down my way with the big boys on them and they just sounded immense..I still get that buzz today..watch Mad Max and listen to those Kwak 1000s pull away... V4..nah just doesn't do it for me...lovely bike but not for Moi..

Stuart

It's not allowed in Superbikes.
There's a 1000cc R version coming next year - which made it's debut at the Jerez WSBK test this week. Debut in testing only...racing will be from 2019.

It's a stunning looking bike but the price tag ???? The Beemer is still imo the best alround user friendly in the class, but I do like the looks of the dukes.

Ducati Panigale V4

It looks absolutely fantastic and I would love to ride one on track. Whilst many won't agree I'm really hoping that the new 2019 BMW becomes just as focused and physically smaller. I suspect the Panigale 'R' version is going to do exceptionally well in WSBK with the Factory Aruba team.

Ducati Panigale V4

It's the counter-rotating crankshaft that I'm most interested in as that should have a hugely positive impact on handling. Would be good to ride one on track.

Re: Ducati Panigale V4

It's the counter-rotating crankshaft that I'm most interested in as that should have a hugely positive impact on handling. Would be good to ride one on track.

With the massive reduction in forward rotating mass you wonder if carbon wheels would be a folly and make the whole thing too flighty and nervous.

Ducati Panigale V4

I would imagine it will be absolutely fine with lightweight wheels fitted. Both the S and Speciale versions have Marchesini forged wheels fitted as standard so it's unlikely to be an issue. There isn't a huge amount of difference in weight between forged wheels and carbon ones now anyway. Looking at the Ducati Factory fitted options there are even Magnesium wheels available for it as well! It would just take a bit of setting up properly on track but I should think the bike just gets even better the lighter it gets.

MV August have used counter-rotating crankshafts in their sport bikes for several years now.
I?m surprised more manufacturers haven?t done this sooner ...

Panigale V4 IMO:
- Looks nice
- Glad they?ve gone to L4
- Like their 3 model line up, very sensible to have road models with 1100 cc displacement.
- Amazing electronics
- Like the revised switch gear
- Like that Ducati offer an official Akrapovic full system (the price (?4.2 K), not so much lol ...), including ECU reflash and Euro 4 removal kit whilst maintaining the warranty. This is what the BMW HP Power Kit ?should? have been IMO.

- Like Stuart, I?m also not sure on the sound, too much like a twin for my taste, but will wait till I hear one for real with the Akrapovic full system.
- Not keen on the 16 L tank
- Fuel gauge ... ? If not, big dislike!
- Reliability, who knows, but this is something they really need to work on if they want to broaden their appeal.

Overall, I think they?ve done an amazing job with the bike and it?s certainly a big step forwards for Ducati. At the very least, it will be a catalyst for the other manufacturers to improve the breed. Competition is always a good thing!

I am super excited to see what BMW launch next year, and I am not ashamed to say I am incredibly biased lol [emoji6]

Last edited:
You?re spot on about the HP Power kit Oli. Would have been a money maker if they hadn?t made all those clauses.

Cant see how this can be the elephant in the room....

V4 is a 1.1 litre bike. Its the same cave man approach to adding power that Ducati did with the 1199, add displacement. Not exactly genius.

Dry the v4 is 174-5 kgs. Not exactly light on its feet, around 200kgs fully laden, with a small tank.

Looking ahead to 2019 and the next rr, the hp4 race is 154kgs dry, 171 wet, which is, imo, a teaser of what will be on its way.

The v4 is certainly a stunning bike, but I am not convinced from the figures that it is a game changer. As oli points out, MV have been using the engine tech for a while, so....

Reliability is always on the agenda with ducati, and it is the case with all their bikes in the range. It will take some courage to throw ?25k ish into a bike with no track record.

And on track records, what use will it be if it cant be raced (and all the trickle down benefits through development and third party involvement that brings)?

Suspension and the electronic trickery looks amazing, but like with anything, its how the user uses it that makes it work well or not. Some will love it, others wont.

For now my view is its Ducati doing what they have always done: make beautiful bikes, and in that regard they have done a superb job, again.

One thing for sure, regarding sportsbikes, the future is looking very rosy.

With regards to it being to big to race, I don't think this is a big issue. I may be wrong, but when honda launched the blade in early 90's, it too was to big to race, but it still proved to be a big seller for Honda.

Will be interesting to see what real world reviews say about it, as it is a stunning looking bike, if it wasn't for the price tag I would consider going for a look at one.

For me personally, I look forward to hearing one, as i do like the noise of a twin, big part of why I love my SP1!!! Wish Honda would build another v-twin superbike!!!!

Well said Soof!

How come you?re not a fan of the 1100 cc capacity though? No replacement for displacement as the Americans say lol [emoji6]

I think this makes total sense, because with a split model range where there are both dedicated road and track versions of a bike, the former can have increased torque and a lower compression ratio (good for reliability).
The block is the same between models so the development is universal across the bikes and in my mind, if 99 % of customers won?t ever race the bike, it seems illogical to not exploit a larger capacity on certain models.

Furthermore, as BMW sensibly recoup development costs for the RR through the R & XR models, the latter two would benefit massively with the increased displacement.

On a side note, can anyone explain why on Earth so few sport bikes have proper fuel gauges these days?
Forget 6-axis IMU?s and slide control etc, the fuel gauge is quite literally becoming the Unicorn feature lol.
I remember the relief I had when I first found out that the Gen 3 RR has one!

You?re spot on about the HP Power kit Oli. Would have been a money maker if they hadn?t made all those clauses.

Cheers Alex, I agree it would be a great money maker for BMW.

It?s strange because Ducati, KTM, Triumph and I think Yamaha all offer equivalent exhaust kits without invalidating the warranty

Thanks oli.

The other query I forgot to raise about the v4 was fuel consumption. They elluded to it briefly in the video. my best guess is that the mpg will be horrendous, mated with a smaller than usual fuel tank, range is going to be very low. Much scoffing might be had at such trivialities but living with it on the road day to day will be challenging if it turns out that way.

I have nothing against more displacement, but it is lazy imo, adds weight and increases consumption. Maybe clarkson is on the Ducati development team payroll now? He had that Ford GT that was so thirsty it needed filling up each way on his daily commute, a very slow car point to point....

Back