Panigale V4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its fair to say ducati have and always will be the ferrari of sportsbikes. The brand is incredibly powerful. Its a bit marmite, the brand thing, bit like Joey in that friends episode.... Ducati’s brand values are about passion, soul, etc. Bmw is about precision, engineering. Both coming at this from different angles which appeal to each of us in different ways. I would never buy a ferrari, but I have been tempted by a duc a few times.

@soofsayer I?ll make you laugh, I was watching an American test ride of the V4 Pani, the guy was out with a friend on a previous gen Fireblade, and guess what ...

... the Ducati ran out of fuel lol [emoji23]

I agree the small tank, probable fuel consumption and I believe lack of a proper fuel gauge will make for a rather compromised road bike (to put it mildly lol).

Speaking of V4 fuel consumption, I believe Aprillia actually increased the tank capacity on the RSV4 a while back, due to the limited fuel range ...

I think its fair to say ducati have and always will be the ferrari of sportsbikes. The brand is incredibly powerful. Its a bit marmite, the brand thing, bit like Joey in that friends episode.... Ducati?s brand values are about passion, soul, etc. Bmw is about precision, engineering. Both coming at this from different angles which appeal to each of us in different ways. I would never buy a ferrari, but I have been tempted by a duc a few times.

BMW vs Ducati is the classic Porsche vs Ferrari argument.
I like Porsche! [emoji6]

Though I can afford neither lol

I was lucky enough to be loaned a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale for the day a couple of years ago and without doubt it's the car that has left the biggest impression on me in my fairly lengthy driving career..what a car, not because it had electronic everything, in fact apart from the surprisingly good F1 paddle shift it had bugger all in terms of tech, just a lightweight, bare carbon tub with a visceral V8 positioned behind my head.
I was then talking to one of the 'Dad's' at football yesterday, don't know what he does for a living but he has a '17 Porsche GT3 and he was saying that on the one hand it is incredible (he's owned several 911's) and is as easy to use on a day to day basis as a Golf but that ultimately it was leaving him a bit cold - it was too capable and he actually preferred driving the earlier 997's.
For me there's no substitution for 'soul', so I hope in this constant quest for improvement, manufacturers of bikes (and performance cars) don't lose sight of what makes these things so desirable.

Last edited:
Good point mac.

Thing with ferraris is this. A client of my business runs an approved body repair centre for all the prestige stuff, mclaren, lambo, porsche, ferrari, etc..... he showed us a 430 with some of the side panels off for repair. The amazing thing about it was the plastic spacers wedged into the other panel gaps to line everything up, like the stuff youd use to line up a kitchen carcass. He explained that it is common on ferraris that the panels often dont line up correctly so at the factory they use plastic spacers to get everything into position, which varies from one car to the next. Albeit each example is therefore ?unique? (-ly flawed) I wouldnt want to be putting a six figure sum into that level of in perfection. Maybe thats just me but character is one thing, I much prefer precision engineering, especially if I am trusting it with my life. Of course, nirvana is the balance of both...

Last edited:
+1
I think with premium anything, the build quality and design should be equally impressive behind-the-scenes.

Perhaps this is just me, but I?ve always thought of ?character? and ?passion? as just being endearing ways to justify flaws ...

Journalists often criticise the S1000RR for lacking passion and soul etc, but IMO, if someone doesn?t think an RR is exciting enough they really need to check their pulse lol

I found the 1299s pretty comfy tbh, on the other hand my mate had an 1198 which he had to sell after 6 months as it was crippling him...

I found the 1299s pretty comfy tbh, on the other hand my mate had an 1198 which he had to sell after 6 months as it was crippling him...

How tall are you Phil?
From the photos I?ve seen the Panigale?s seem to have a wide bar placement and a rather upright riding position?

Last edited:
6ft, yeah the Panigale's riding position isn't unlike my GSXR's, both being similar in bar position to the S1K and both having a bit more leg room. The only litre bike I've ridden that I've found really doesn't fit me is the ZX10R, pegs too high and bars by my knees...

Very interesting, cheers Phil.

I suppose we could crack a Ducati joke now and say that it?ll run out of petrol long before anyone has time to get uncomfortable lol

I seem to remember the 1299 having a fuel range readout and warning light as I had to put a splash in it while I was out on the test ride, but I could be wrong..

I seem to remember the 1299 having a fuel range readout and warning light as I had to put a splash in it while I was out on the test ride, but I could be wrong..

Like the Gen 3 RR, or does it only show when the low warning light appears?
If the former, that?s new to me!

McLaren seem like they are nailing it.

- Sent from a magical lightbox

Yes. Been out in a friends 650C and it is sublime. Of course I would have one myself :) but it gets too much attention, everywhere we went people were taking pictures of us, two blokes riding around together in a convertible sports car with silly grins on our faces, hmmm....

Nearly as bad as men hanging around together in boots and leathers....er.... I'll stop there lol.

If i had a Ducati V4 and used it like my S1K, I'd destroy it cosmetically and mechanically in 2 weeks flat.

I wonder how it would tackle sub 0, dark winter commutes & not much washing. :)

Back