Buffeting at 100mph?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skynet-T800

Reaction score
Ok so my bike has the MRA double bubble screen on and when I get to about 100 mph I get bad buffeting to the point I can't see?

My lid is a Shoei GT Air, with a Sena 20s comms kit & a GoPro mount attached to the top of the lid.

Not much experience with these bike but my R6 was rock solid?

Is it the lid? I assume the screen is good as they're everywhere and tried and tested?

The sena unit sticks out so not aero is this clashing with the airflow?

Trying to figure it out before I tour on it.

Anyone else use an MRA Screen?

Last edited:
I've got a Puig screen and never had any buffeting even over 160mph, decent bit of kit.

Fit a std screen and/or remove the Go Pro mount and see if that sorts it. Doubt it's your lid unless it's such a poor fit it's moving around on your head?

If I was to bet on I'd go for the GoPro. I was 177 last day and didn't notice buffeting. Standard screen with htc helmet

I agree, the GoPro mounting location is the most likely culprit IMO.

probably the screen ive tried aftermarket screens and they take the wind off my chest onto my head

I also agree re double bubble screens; when in a full tuck they are superb, but in a relaxed upright position they can increase helmet buffeting. This does depend significantly on rider height though

- Oli

Last edited:
It only stopped in full tuck chin on the tank which isn't practical! I will remove the mount and sena I guess but I used them on the R1 with a DB screen and was fine. Yamaha's feel a bit more roomier to me though.

I'm 5ft 7" so not exactly tall, buffting is very tight/tiny micro oscillations, really hard to see the road

The latest R1 isn't roomy! Nonetheless you shouldn't be getting the problem you describe, aerodynamics between the 2 bikes will be different, as mentioned swapping the screen and mount should get to the bottom of it

I had a gt air and as comfy as they are I did suffer with A bit of wobbling at about 120 plus, the extras you have on it probably make it worse, bearing in mind the get air is more of a touring helmet Rather than race

Guaranteed it?s the stuff you got stuck to your lid. All lids get carefully tested for aerodynamics these days. A camera AND intercom will properly mess that up.
I suspect you?ve only just noticed it because you now have a properly FAST motorbike. Lol.

I look forward to helmet manufacturers integrating a fore and rear facing camera which transmits to your dash (instead of a rear view mirror) and to your phone to record journeys and track days (and accidents) from a relevant POV.

Please people: don't mount GoPros or other cameras on your lid. If you come off the camera mount can punch through the helmet into your head.

That was what happened with Michael Shumacher when he had his accident skiing.

I had a gt air and as comfy as they are I did suffer with A bit of wobbling at about 120 plus, bearing in mind the get air is more of a touring helmet Rather than race
+1, I never liked wearing my GT Air while riding my RR as I had trouble with vision due to the way it sat on my head.

Please people: don't mount GoPros or other cameras on your lid. If you come off the camera mount can punch through the helmet into your head.

That was what happened with Michael Shumacher when he had his accident skiing.

It was but his helmet was nowhere near as strong as a motorcycle lid. If you have it on with a 3m mount it will come off with impact and you?d have to be fairly unlucky to land flush on it to even start to cause an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was but his helmet was nowhere near as strong as a motorcycle lid. If you have it on with a 3m mount it will come off with impact and you?d have to be fairly unlucky to land flush on it to even start to cause an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it was a different type of helmet but all lids are designed to take impact from flat surface like the road not all of the impact force concentrated on one point.

I hate to see bikers (and cyclists) with cameras mounted on helmets.

Back