My 2015 S1KRRs

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaFuq was my invite?

Haha sorry about your bike Oli hope it's up and running by the 10th!

Sorry Ben, it was route beta testing for Phil?s upcoming ride-out.

Fingers crossed, if not hopefully I?ll be able to get a loaner bike from Cannon?s for the weekend. Failing that I could be the support car lol

Considering the miles we completed in Scotland post rebuild I am very surprised.

Could it be the immobiliser? And therefore the key/aerial, Turning but not catching? I don't know if thats the right symptom.

- Alex

Considering the miles we completed in Scotland post rebuild I am very surprised.

Could it be the immobiliser? And therefore the key/aerial, Turning but not catching? I don't know if thats the right symptom.

- Alex

Yea me too, remarkable really to have not had any issues in Scotland, but on a hot dry day caput lol.

I imagine it could very well be the immobilise, as I say it turns over with the starter motor but never starts (or if it does only for split second at best).
The strange thing though is the clicking sound when twisting the throttle with the ignition on, it?s similar to when the battery wasn?t charging due to the contacts furring up. However, there are none of the other systems that accompanied that issue

Sorry Ben, it was route beta testing for Phil’s upcoming ride-out.

Fingers crossed, if not hopefully I’ll be able to get a loaner bike from Cannon’s for the weekend. Failing that I could be the support car lol
Or go pillion? lol

Got my bike back yesterday morning, hooray!
All seems to be running well.

The problem appears to have been the PCV, which has been fully removed and the OEM lambda sensor reinstalled.
Frustrating though as means I need to pay for the investigation/work by BMW

Got my bike back yesterday morning, hooray!
All seems to be running well.

The problem appears to have been the PCV, which has been fully removed and the OEM lambda sensor reinstalled.
Frustrating though as means I need to pay for the investigation/work by BMW

Hmm so a loose connection or a duff PCV?

Hmm so a loose connection or a duff PCV?

Difficult to tell as they removed the unit before my go-to mechanic (Simon at Race Engineering) had a chance to properly check it out. Reason being was we all assumed it was a BMW issue to begin with so any work would be covered under the Extended Warranty.
Simon has the PCV now so is going to check it, it seemed to power up and show the correct status light when it was on my bike, so I am skeptical there was a fault with the unit. If the unit does have a problem it?ll only be the second PCV Simon has had a problem with!
It seems I?ve had some bad luck with fuel modules as had a faulty Bazzaz unit on my Daytona previously.

If the PCV is absolutely fine then I guess it?ll be near impossible to say what actually caused the problem if it doesn?t return. Essentially it was as if the bike was not getting fuel, but then when it would eventually fire up it smokes initially suggesting it was receiving fuel, very strange.
Will update the thread when I find out more

Does that mean your back to the stock exhaust?

No still the Akrapovic Evolution system, just running the stock closed-loop fuel map as I did previously

Because it was intermittent I would expect wiring, are there any scotch lock connectors with a PCV? If so I'd switch to soldered.

- Alex

Because it was intermittent I would expect wiring, are there any scotch lock connectors with a PCV? If so I'd switch to soldered.

- Alex

Thanks Alex, I?ll check with Simon.
The PCV is being sent off to DynoJet for testing too

Thanks Alex, I?ll check with Simon.
The PCV is being sent off to DynoJet for testing too

Hi Oli

If the PCV turns out to be a problem, then give me a shout. I'm going to sell on the PCV I got for MY17.

Secondly, BMW warranty seems amazing considering the modifications on your bike. I would have thought that they'd use the mods as a reason to void any warranty work?

Best regards

Mark

Last edited:
Hi Oli

If the PCV turns out to be a problem, then give me a shout. I'm going to sell on the PCV I got for MY17.

Secondly, BMW warranty seems amazing considering the modifications on your bike. I would have thought that they'd use the mods as a reason to void any warranty work?

Best regards

Mark

The BMW warranty is the Gold Standard IMO, bear in mind this is all under the extended warranty too.
After having a courtesy bike for a week and my bike for maybe 10 days and two mechanics doing over 100 miles of riding on it etc. My bill at the end ... was ?100. Only thing I was charged for was removal of the PCV, Cannon?s BMW got a Brownie point for that!

The working diagnosis at the moment is a loose connection with the PCV, not necessarily an issue with the unit or the bike as such, just that after considerable mileage something must have caused a loose connection. If the PCV gets the all clear from DynoJet and my bike doesn?t develop any issues (so far so good!) then I?ll get the PCV reinstalled.

It?s been interesting running the stock fuelling as whilst the power gains weren?t anything spectacular with the PCV, you can certainly appreciate the corrected fuelling both at low engine speeds and higher up the Rev range where it pops and bangs less (than stock). Just felt better with the PCV.

Have you given any more thought on a RapidBike module?

The BMW warranty is the Gold Standard IMO, bear in mind this is all under the extended warranty too.
After having a courtesy bike for a week and my bike for maybe 10 days and two mechanics doing over 100 miles of riding on it etc. My bill at the end ... was ?100. Only thing I was charged for was removal of the PCV, Cannon’s BMW got a Brownie point for that!

The working diagnosis at the moment is a loose connection with the PCV, not necessarily an issue with the unit or the bike as such, just that after considerable mileage something must have caused a loose connection. If the PCV gets the all clear from DynoJet and my bike doesn’t develop any issues (so far so good!) then I’ll get the PCV reinstalled.

It’s been interesting running the stock fuelling as whilst the power gains weren’t anything spectacular with the PCV, you can certainly appreciate the corrected fuelling both at low engine speeds and higher up the Rev range where it pops and bangs less (than stock). Just felt better with the PCV.

Have you given any more thought on a RapidBike module?

I've got the standard used/approved 2 year warranty from BMW on mine. It was a year old demo bike bought down from Carlisle.

Still seems amazing that BMW cover the bike and honour the warranty even on a modified bike.

I assume that with the manufacturers warranty wouldn't cover work on a modified bike. Assume it's covered under the Extended Gold warranty as it's officially outside the standard manufacturers warranty period?

Re the Rapidbike. It's definitely the route i'll go down. The bike feels ok on the standard fuel map though, which makes you wonder really. Having said that, I want to do some trackdays and i'd like to be confident that the fuelling is good.

Bit different on the road as there's not many opportunities to get higher up the rev range.

The warranty principle applies whether it?s the base vehicle or extended warranty.
Exhausts and fuel modules make no permanent changes to a bike, BMW have no record of installing any of these items as they have not done the work. So if there was ever a major warranty claim needed, I could simply return the bike back to stock. This is one of the major benefits of fuel modules.
All this warranty stuff though is a bit of a grey area.

If your bike feels good with the standard mapping, then I would simply check the fuelling on a dyno first before spending on a fuel module, as it might be unnecessary or of limited value

Last edited:
The warranty principle applies whether it’s the base vehicle or extended warranty.
Exhausts and fuel modules make no permanent changes to a bike, BMW have no record of installing any of these items as they have not done the work. So if there was ever a major warranty claim needed, I could simply return the bike back to stock. This is one of the major benefits of fuel modules.
All this warranty stuff though is a bit of a grey area.

If your bike feels good with the standard mapping, then I would simply check the fuelling on a dyno first before spending on a fuel module, as it might be unnecessary or of limited value

I guess it's such a grey area......define 'major claim'...... The engine out, strip down and gearbox work you had done on yours recently i'd say is 'major', however BMW may class major, as a total engine failure.

All in the detail and open to interpretation i guess.

I guess it's such a grey area......define 'major claim'...... The engine out, strip down and gearbox work you had done on yours recently i'd say is 'major', however BMW may class major, as a total engine failure.

All in the detail and open to interpretation i guess.

Oh the engine out gearbox job was major by my book, but what I mean is that it is not something that an exhaust or fuel module would have anything to do with, as it was a gearbox issue.
I mean if the engine went pop spectacularly then I?d have to at least consider putting the stock exhaust on before taking the bike to BMW to avoid any potential issues. Could justify the work further as if that happened I would be looking to Px the bike soon after anyway, so being stock would be a benefit.

I personally wouldn?t worry fitting a full system or fuel module, but as motorcycling is all about enjoyment one should do whatever they feel comfortable with [emoji4]

The key to most warranty claims with bmw is your relationship and attitude with the dealer (and having a decent dealer is good as they are not all equal it seems).

To reject a warranty claim due to a modification BMW would have to be able to prove that the modification caused the failure, hence why Oli had no problem with his claim.

There's a new dealership in Suffolk, they should be keen to make friends with customers ;)
http://www.reitenmotorrad.co.uk/

Lind in Norwich have always looked after me - my costs for an out of warranty electrical fault investigation were paid by BMW when Lind decided it was the Engine Loom and therefore a factory issue. Tim @ Lind is on here too so it's not like they didn't know what I was doing with it :)

Back