Back Protectors

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kennybush

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of buying a new back protector, as the one i have is a pretty old alpinestar joby, and the elastic shoulder straps are getting loose. It also seems quite bulky compared to modern stuff.

What are you guys using? Any that you would recommend looking at, or steering clear of.

I wear a Dainese Wave back protector which came supplied with my D-Air race leathers and it is very good. Dainese have a good range of options to suit all budgets that are worth looking at. That said there are plenty of alternatives out there from all the major brands but if possible try a few on before you buy.

I wear a Forcefield Sub 4 Kenny, love it and keeps me from worrying about landing on my back as I already have a triple fracture.......... not relishing making it 4 or more, lol.

JimmyMac

Whilst I currently have a C.E. Level 2 D3O back protector in both my suits, I have previously used the Forcefield L2K stand-alone back protector and found it to be excellent.

I personally like the Airo vest that Soof links to as is very comfortable and also includes chest protection.

To my knowledge the Forcefield Sub 4 still affords the highest impact protection second only to an airbag

- Oli

Last edited:
I got a Dainese Wave Air which looks like a lobster shell and stays in place under my one piece without the shoulder straps.
It was a rushed purchase, literally on the way to an evening track session. I hadn't researched it then and I still don't know why one would get it instead of Jimmy's which looks much comfier, they both seem to be the same level protection.
Ry, why do you use the Wave instead of a vest?

I bought a Knox Aegis 8 that I've only worn a few times as my new Scott Leathers have an in-built Knox back protector. The Knox stuff is really comfy and well made...

I use the AlpineStars Track Vest i wanted integrated chest and back armour.

If thats your goal then its great but I do find the velcro wasteband is crap at staying done up (my fatness aside it should be better).

Downfall appears to be its not washable as you cant remove the protector...unless you wash that too.

- Alex

Cheers for all the replies, was looking at the forcefeild sub 4 online last night, and liked the sound of it, but then i started looking at the vest type protectors.

I think i'll hang fire on ordering anything until i can get to a decent shop to look at a few of the options.

Dainese Wave Back Protector

Ry, why do you use the Wave instead of a vest?

I wear a Wave back protector as it's designed to compliment the Dainese D-Air system and is supplied together with an L2 chest protector insert when you buy one of their race suits. When you are measured and fitted for a D-Air race suit by Dainese they take into account the back and chest protectors being worn. When the airbag deploys there is absolutely no room for any sort of vest. To be honest you don't really need a vest if you are using a race suit fitted with an airbag and are wearing the supplied chest and back protectors. The first time you crash wearing one it is definitely a strange experience when the airbag deploys and I'm absolutely convinced it has saved me from injury on track. In my honest opinion if you are a regular trackday rider, or racer, then a D-Air race suit is a hugely worthwhile investment albeit they are expensive. It is worth noting that Dainese don't recommend their D-Air race suits for road use but they do offer an alternative airbag system in some of their jackets.

Dainese D-Air Race Suits

Ry. How much should one allow for a fitted d?air suit? Also, how much does it cost to re-set after an inflation event? Cheers, Hugh

The latest Dainese D-Air race suits are available in either cow (Misano suit) or kangaroo (Mugello suit) leather. Off the peg they are priced at ?1739.99 and ?3399.99 respectively for non-ACU race licence holders. The cost of Dainese?s custom made-to-measure service, in addition to the price of the suit, normally ranges between ?500-1500 depending on design and requirements etc. You will also have to book an appointment with a D-Store which offers the service and lead times vary depending on how busy Dainese?s Race Dept in Italy are. Your suit will be made by the same people that make Dainese?s sponsored riders (Rossi et al) suits and they get priority. If you order in the middle of the racing season expect a long wait. Even off the peg sizes can take time to arrive if your size is not in stock either in the UK or in Italy. Recharging the suit following a crash costs around ?150 and involves sending it back to a D-Store. It will then be returned to you professionally cleaned and fitted with a new gas cylinder and airbag as both are replaced. They also download the crash data from your suit which then contributes towards the R&D of future racing products. Dainese D-Air race suits are expensive, especially if you choose the made-to-measure option, but if you are doing countless trackdays every season, or are racing, they are a hugely worthwhile investment.

Dainese D-Air Race Suits

Thanks for your comprehensive replies Ry. H

No problem. My D-Air race suit has been superb and I will certainly be investing in another one in the future.

Re: Dainese D-Air Race Suits

The latest Dainese D-Air race suits are available in either cow (Misano suit) or kangaroo (Mugello suit) leather. Off the peg they are priced at ?1739.99 and ?3399.99 respectively for non-ACU race licence holders. The cost of Dainese’s custom made-to-measure service, in addition to the price of the suit, normally ranges between ?500-1500 depending on design and requirements etc. You will also have to book an appointment with a D-Store which offers the service and lead times vary depending on how busy Dainese’s Race Dept in Italy are. Your suit will be made by the same people that make Dainese’s sponsored riders (Rossi et al) suits and they get priority. If you order in the middle of the racing season expect a long wait. Even off the peg sizes can take time to arrive if your size is not in stock either in the UK or in Italy. Recharging the suit following a crash costs around ?150 and involves sending it back to a D-Store. It will then be returned to you professionally cleaned and fitted with a new gas cylinder and airbag as both are replaced. They also download the crash data from your suit which then contributes towards the R&D of future racing products. Dainese D-Air race suits are expensive, especially if you choose the made-to-measure option, but if you are doing countless trackdays every season, or are racing, they are a hugely worthwhile investment.

Thanks for this. My D-Air suit has just been delivered to the office...

Do you use the data logging function, and if so how does it compare to the BMW system? I'm thinking of selling my vbox sport now I have this...

Dainese D-Air Race Suit

I have personally never bothered using the datalogger within the suit as it?s really limited in terms of functionality. The BMW/2D system is infinitely more effective as it records all the data from the bike and is far better for analysis.

Back