Dealing with the dealer - need advice

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noxx

Reaction score
The ones of you that know about my track record with both of my M Sport's will probably know that I went berserk at my dealer a few times. My relationship with the dealer was definitely not the best, however it's slowly but surely recovering.

Now, the techs at my local dealer, while very knowledgeable, don't seem to care much for avoiding cosmetic damage. Every time I bring the bike in for warranty work (it's been a lot :)) I find new scratches, marks etc. First the plastic nut on the right fork, then the top yoke nut, then a tiny, tiny scratch on the blue tank cover and the last one I've noticed is a little mark in the clutch cover (after replacing the clutch).

How would you approach this? Would you rather have a good (as good as possible) relationship with your dealer or would you march in there and demand fixing?

Just as with my cars, upon drop off, with the service manager/team member, I walk around my car/bike pointing out that vehicle is spotless and that I expect it back in the same condition upon collection.

Upon collection time, again with the same person I walk around my vehicle inspecting it, any new damage seen then I point it out to them. It is then their responsibility to fix/replace. Simple and the same treatment they give us when they give us a loan/courtesy vehicle.

In my book, it's not much to ask to be handed the bike/car back in the same pristine condition you left it them with.

Ideally keeping emotions aside - I’d list out the issues in a reasonable manner, ask the dealer for his view, ask what their policy is and what they intend to do about it. I guess it then falls to how good their customer service is and their desire, within reason, to keep you happy. If that were to fail then it’s possibly a stronger set of words that may involve the Small Claims Court, naming / shaming etc.

There’s a possibility that they have an individual in the workshop who doesn’t give a toss and is at risk of damaging the dealership’s reputation - that’s something a sound dealer might want to sort out.

Clearly not necessarily an easy situation to resolve if the dealer becomes adamant he’s not to blame.

Hope you get something positive out of them.

There’s a possibility that they have an individual in the workshop who doesn’t give a toss and is at risk of damaging the dealership’s reputation - that’s something a sound dealer might want to sort out.
This is a very good point. They can only sort out these type of problems if they get genuine feedback so always best to have a relationship where you are open about stuff.

Back