Looking to purchase a Laptop

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking to purchase a laptop as my PC/Desktop is giving up on me, Had the blue screen 3 times now and it's time for a change.
I'm wanting something to edit videos from the GoPro and also something to play a game on from time to time, Want it to be portable and light but have high performance and a 4k res.

I'm leaning towards the Dell XPS but wondering if any of you are tech gods?

Thank you.

New Dell XPS 15 9570 is a perfect choice. I have a previous model, have been doing exactly the same and it's been working just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Only concern with the latest XPS is that is it very expensive. Worth the money?

Quick processor and at least 4 gig of RAM and a big screen .. all down to budget mate. A really decent lappie expect to pay 700 plus up to a grand. I use a 23 inch Dell monitor on mine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just want a nifty laptop that can edit 4k videos and can have fun on Vegas Pro and photoshop. Lowest spec XPS would still be good?

You need a high spec machine to run 4k and edit without potential issues.

If you go down the dell route pm me the exact spec and price and I will see if we can get a discount on it as my business is a dell partner. Although on retail range stuff it might be zero, I thought its worth mentioning. We dont do finance and it would have to be bank transfer.

Quick processor and at least 4 gig of RAM and a big screen .. all down to budget mate. A really decent lappie expect to pay 700 plus up to a grand. I use a 23 inch Dell monitor on mine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I7 processor ideally
64-bit
At least 8gb ram, I would go for 16 or 32 if budget allows.
Decent graphics card
SSD drive(s)

When we say graphics card...my friend is telling me go for a dedicated GC, Does that mean anything to anyone?

P.S. Thanks Andy will bare in mind

When we say graphics card...my friend is telling me go for a dedicated GC, Does that mean anything to anyone?

P.S. Thanks Andy will bare in mind

there are 2 types of graphic cards in laptop:

1. weak - builtin into a chipset/motherboard (usually intel)
2. powerful - dedicated (usually nvidia but sometimes amd)

If you intend to edit videos or photos, having a dedicated graphic card is plus, as editing software can use the extra power of GPU to render stuff.

If you just an average Word user and/or occasionally run RCK3 or PCV software to tune the bike, you dont need a more expensive dedicated card.

Wont be able to edit 4k on a Mac laptop not without all the time in the day.

Look for a laptop with a gtx1060-gtx1080 in it if 4k video editing is a must.

Or upgrade your hard disk in your current computer (most likely cause of your blue screens) then stick a graphics card in that to edit video.

I've got a few laptops, mainly alienware (dell) stuff and a solitary macbook pro (2017). The macbook is a dream to use - everything just works - but the screen isnt 4k and is only capable of taking 16gb ram. For 99.9% of stuff, its brilliant.

My 'works' machine is an alienware 17" with a 4k res, 32gb ram and 3 x 1tb 'disks' (1 is a traditional ssd). Although this machine is blisteringly fast and copes well with all my vmware machines, the 4k screen is a bad, bad idea. The text is so small in its native resolution that it's almost impossible to read. You have to scale up the text to read it, at which point, because it's not its native resolution, it appears a bit fuzzy around the edges. Save a bit of cash and go for a lower res laptop panel and spend the rest on a decent external 4k monitor.

At least, before you commit - go and actually see a 4k resolution on a 17" panel.

Last edited:
The price of these bloody things are mental.

Looking at reviews on the Microsoft Surface Book 1 and 2, Any one have any feedback?

The price of these bloody things are mental.

Looking at reviews on the Microsoft Surface Book 1 and 2, Any one have any feedback?

Surface 2 is a decent laptop.

Not suited for video editing though.

If you're just chopping up gopro footage it will do.

Its not like you're rendering entire movies...

- Alex

Back