Winter boots

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best winter tyres for sports bike?

• Bridgestone T31

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Continental Road Attack 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Michelin Road 5

• Pirelli Angel GT II

• Total voters

Katie

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so still using the Michelin Power 5s and have found their limitation. Sadly, it appears to be very cold and wet roads! One or the other is fine but have had some traction control testing moments that make me think I'm going to be a bit more confident commuting on something a bit better suited to the time of year.

I've narrowed it down to five, all around the same price and standard so thought I'd see if anyone has experience with these on the S1k or similar power sports bike? Going to try and add a poll but the tyres in question (it's for a Gen 3) are:

Bridgestone T31 (have tried the T30 before - bit heavy - but these are meant to be lighter)
Continental Road Attack 3 (never used Continental)
Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE (tried the ordinary 01 before - was impressed)
Michelin Road 5 (used on KTM SDGT, always reliable)
Pirelli Angel GT II (used 1st generation - good while they lasted!)

Ok, so still using the Michelin Power 5s and have found their limitation. Sadly, it appears to be very cold and wet roads! One or the other is fine but have had some traction control testing moments that make me think I'm going to be a bit more confident commuting on something a bit better suited to the time of year.

I've narrowed it down to five, all around the same price and standard so thought I'd see if anyone has experience with these on the S1k or similar power sports bike? Going to try and add a poll but the tyres in question (it's for a Gen 3) are:

Bridgestone T31 (have tried the T30 before - bit heavy - but these are meant to be lighter)
Continental Road Attack 3 (never used Continental)
Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE (tried the ordinary 01 before - was impressed)
Michelin Road 5 (used on KTM SDGT, always reliable)
Pirelli Angel GT II (used 1st generation - good while they lasted!)

Agree, power 5's are atrocious in the wet

I hated them in very cold too.

Bridgestones tend to warm up quickly imo. Thats why i always loved them. I used bt16-s21 over the years all year round, couldn't fault

@Oli had the Metzelers a year or 2 back and was pretty happy...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I've had Metzeler Roadtec01s and Michelin Pilot 3s and currently Michelin Road 5s. All were/are good winter/touring tyres, found Metzelers very similar to the Michelins. Agree that summer / sport tyres not good in winter. I had Pirelli Rosso IIIs that are fine in the heat, but hopeless in the cold/wet.

I find rosso corsa 2 are fine in the wet and cold, although bike is usually off the road in winter (december to end of feb), been fine on early morning sub 10 degree runs and torrential rain (not at the same time)

I've had Metzeler Roadtec01s and Michelin Pilot 3s and currently Michelin Road 5s. All were/are good winter/touring tyres, found Metzelers very similar to the Michelins. Agree that summer / sport tyres not good in winter. I had Pirelli Rosso IIIs that are fine in the heat, but hopeless in the cold/wet.

Have you noticed much difference n terms of profile with the Metzeler and Michelins? From memory (not my strong suit!) the Metzelers were a little quicker steering

I?ve used the original RoadTech 01?s previously and thought they were good in the wet, though not as quick steering as the Michelin Road 5.

For this time of year I don?t think you can beat the Road 5?s, they?d be my pick of the bunch. Though be aware that Michelin have launched the Road 6 now, so might be worth waiting for that depending when they?re available and how much tread you have left.

I?ve used the original RoadTech 01?s previously and thought they were good in the wet, though not as quick steering as the Michelin Road 5.

For this time of year I don?t think you can beat the Road 5?s, they?d be my pick of the bunch. Though be aware that Michelin have launched the Road 6 now, so might be worth waiting for that depending when they?re available and how much tread you have left.

Got loads of tread left, just not sure how much luck I have remaining! Set off yesterday in torrential rain and then got salt-blasted on the way home! Doesn't bode well for the current boots...

Have you noticed much difference n terms of profile with the Metzeler and Michelins? From memory (not my strong suit!) the Metzelers were a little quicker steering

I didn't notice much difference. Tread pattern and wet performance is similar, but Michelins slightly steeper profile on front, so would steer quicker.

Back