Buying from the EU

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did people not expect this to happen once we were no longer part of the single market?
Probably never realised how it was all going to work, I never gave it any thought for sure... my order to Carpi was 190 euros.. so at 20% that'll be just short of 40 quid but looking at Budgies charge it's 20% plus another 20 quid..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Probably never realised how it was all going to work, I never gave it any thought for sure... my order to Carpi was 190 euros.. so at 20% that'll be just short of 40 quid but looking at Budgies charge it's 20% plus another 20 quid..

When the $ to ? rate was in our favour and bought stuff from the States, I used to add 25% to cover VAT / Import Duty / Courier Tax Collection Charge and it was usually there or there abouts.

Budgie hows it going ?... see that charge how do you pay it, who asks for it ?

Usually collected online by the courier on behalf of HMRC - which they charge for - before they'll deliver.

For now its the shock factor because people are not being informed as part of the purchase process. Once systems catch up it should become clearer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Alright Stu how you doing. You pay the courier company online before delivery mate.
Good mate, hope things are OK for you too pal... OK so they email you a link or whatever, I'll be expecting 38.00 Euros VAT charge and as Gobert says the courier will add a service charge on.. I think this should be better documented when you buy don't you think, for example at checkout a tax and courier charge calculator should be made available.. that said after one purchase you'd be able to figure things out for the next time.

Last edited:
That ?Brexit Dividend? eh? Who the fk voted for this nonsense? Whilst we all come to terms with this BS, the big money/tax avoiders have already got their payout..
Small Island for small thinkers. What do you expect! Sorry!

I would imagine most of italian shops would agree to lower declared shipping value

It would appear that the deal negotiated by the UK Govt. means HMRC want all foreign retailers to register with the UK to sell goods into the UK and collect VAT at source rather than the destination....(WTF?) But the examples shown here would appear that the EU retailer charges EU VAT and that the courier also charges UK VAT on the goods plus a handling fee... So consumers in the UK pay VAT twice on any EU purchase with non-UK-registered EU vendors and the courier sticks their nose into the trough too. Thanks Boris, heck of a deal you negotiated there, plus thanks to anyone who voted Brexit FFS.

It?ll get sorted like it was in 80?s + 90?s. Remember a lot changed with Brown signing our lives away with the Lisbon Treaty. You?ll only pay 20% once. Maybe an ?8 admin fee but I find if you communicate with the seller they?re very accommodating.

I was thinking the same..a wee nod and a [emoji6]...I read somewhere in Carpis T and Cs NOT to ask them to declare a lower value on the parcel..

Them damn foreigners spoiling it for us better class of con people.

Invoice Value, many customers from Turkey, Brazil, Thailand etc ask us to undervalue the invoice: our courier need to clear the right amount you pay because the invoice we bill to you has to be cleared by the Italian Custom Office, therefore declaring a lower value is considered a tax fraud, also if a parcel would be damaged during flight the courier would refund you only for the declared value. Please don't ask us to undervalue, our answer will be always NO. Invoice Value is the sum of the products plus freight.

Just on a positive note, Louis Moto have just emailed the following:

Our Service: We always pay any applicable customs charges plus the VAT on your order before shipping it to you. So you can be sure there?ll be no unwelcome surprises. Simply place your order and enjoy!

Nice :cool:

Funny I used to ask the owner for discount / Lower value on the shipping paperwork and he was happy to for a while but maybe they got a slap on the wrists.

Just on a positive note, Louis Moto have just emailed the following:

Our Service: We always pay any applicable customs charges plus the VAT on your order before shipping it to you. So you can be sure there?ll be no unwelcome surprises. Simply place your order and enjoy!

Nice :cool:
That sounds more like it

Funny I used to ask the owner for discount / Lower value on the shipping paperwork and he was happy to for a while but maybe they got a slap on the wrists.
The Chinese will do it no bother, one of the Aliexpress guys offered it straight off the bat when I was looking for track fairings.

Make sure your looking at the uk version of the Eu site.

Anything up to the value of ?120 (approximately can?t remember the exact figure) and the vat is collected by retailers and given to uk government. Anything over this and it is collected by the courier so expect a letter. Made my bargain buy come out fractionally under the uk price. Also courier admin fees fifer. FedEx is ?12 yet Parcelforce is ?8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly with Carpimoto the figure is ?135.00, anything less than this figure then the retailer has to settle VAT with the UK.

I'd imagine this figure is across the board..

Back