Lever Guards Required

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, these fit Gen4's
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-S100...730890?hash=item4b86a8684a:g:bP8AAOSwD9hft5Nr

Baz caught his brake lever on another rider (who was going slowly) as they drifted across the track taking the line that he was on (he was on the outside of them as they were approaching a right hander). It was a bad call to go round the outside at that point on the track, I'm sure he thought he had time, he rode at a very high level, but, the result was he was catapulted off and died on impact. A brake lever guard could have stopped the minor misjudgement from being fatal.

Wow I didn?t know about this Alex that?s so sad. If it?s who I?m thinking of I bought some bits n peices of him a few year back. Was a really nice bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've had it for long as I remember to lockwire the oils.

You'd swear they were talking about power and size limits. Or speed restrictors.

It's a easy to fit cheap device solely designed to stop a terrible type of accident.

Even 40/50 pound ones look and fit decent. If your worried about cost you can get cheap ones for 20 quid that work. I can't figure how anyone can argue against it.

We've had it for long as I remember to lockwire the oils.
That?s racing! Not required in trackdays.

I?m just trying to preserve the one thing of riding a legal bike on the track.

At least @bmwbadboy gets it I don?t know how to make it any clearer.

I would have no problem sitting through a briefing that included ?we think brake lever guards are great. This is what could happen if you don?t have one. But we realise that it might be really difficult to find one for your Brough Superior so we don?t mandate them but do promote them?

There are loads of other accidents that happen, are they going to come up with solutions to all of them?

Why do people no longer want to be able to think for themselves? They just seem to love it if a higher power can regulate them to keep them safe and keep them from having to think for themselves.

I get where you're coming from and agree, emphsis should be made on giving plenty of room and promoting safer passes. We all know the risks and you take your chance.
Other than road bike only days where the difference is easily distinguished from a track/race bike what can you do.
I haven't fitted them purely as a, cost for what they are and b, don't wanna look like a race god. Bit like fitting wings ;-)
If its compulsory then I will put them on if it means taking part in a hobby I love.

That?s racing! Not required in trackdays.

Why do people no longer want to be able to think for themselves? They just seem to love it if a higher power can regulate them to keep them safe and keep them from having to think for themselves.

You can stamp your feet and cry "not fair" for ever and a day but it's a decision made by a private business - if MSV decide that only pink bikes can ride at their tracks then that's what the rules will be. It's not so much bowing to "the man" but meeting the requirements for a particular track.

I ride my road bike on track and if I have to fit a brake guard or lockwire the sump bolt, oil filter etc then that's what I'll do to continue to ride on track.

This is not some sort of attack on an individuals's personal liberties but a business making a very minor change to it's T&C's and it's a bit dramatic to suggest that this is the begining of the end for track days.

Most of the time it is the council and insurance company behind the scenes that set the rules...

You can stamp your feet and cry "not fair" for ever and a day but it's a decision made by a private business - if MSV decide that only pink bikes can ride at their tracks then that's what the rules will be. It's not so much bowing to "the man" but meeting the requirements for a particular track.

I ride my road bike on track and if I have to fit a brake guard or lockwire the sump bolt, oil filter etc then that's what I'll do to continue to ride on track.

This is not some sort of attack on an individuals's personal liberties but a business making a very minor change to it's T&C's and it's a bit dramatic to suggest that this is the begining of the end for track days.

spot on,toys out the pram spring to mind.i'll skweem and skweem!! :)

Free lever guards

182dc040a4f205432c32aa54e9419a0c.jpg

Last edited:
Yup. Just got that email from No Limits. [emoji17]

I hear they?re changing their name from No Limits to Toe The Line.

- if MSV decide that only pink bikes can ride at their tracks then that's what the rules will be.

I would have no problem with that, I would just expect them to go out of business as everyone voted with their feet.

What is progress?
When I were a lad at 17 I could?ve had a pretty powerful bike if I could afford to insure it. Someone not much older than me could?ve had a powerful bike at 16 and not even have to wear a helmet or do a meaningful test.
Nowadays we have fantastic S1000RRs available if we want one. So some things have gotten better, and lots of things are safer. But so much dumbing down. [emoji17]

I would have no problem with that, I would just expect them to go out of business as everyone voted with their feet.

Nobody is going to cut there nose off to spite their face for a sub ?50 brake guard.............in reality most days sell out so they know their business model won't be affected. It's a "meh" from me on the whole issue however I don't see the problem. Cost me a lot more when Oulton lowered their noise level...............

Nobody is going to cut there nose off to spite their face for a sub ?50 brake guard.............in reality most days sell out so they know their business model won't be affected. It's a "meh" from me on the whole issue however I don't see the problem. Cost me a lot more when Oulton lowered their noise level...............

Or, just forget about UK trackdays and do only Euros.

Yup. Just got that email from No Limits. [emoji17]

I hear they?re changing their name from No Limits to Toe The Line.

has nothing to do with NL at the end of the day,as with noise,it's a circuit rule.the circuits/owners/council make the rules,the TDO has to follow them.you dont like the circuit rules then fine,dont go.it's really that simple,regardless of your views on wether you think it's right,being told what to do by "d'man" or whatever your inner issues are with authority.moan and whine all you want,it's happened,deal with it in whatever way you seem fit.

What about shark fins ? Must be mandatory too.

Personally I am always baffled at how road bikes don?t require lower chain guard ?shark fins? for use on public roads, let alone track.

I think manufacturers should include these as standard fitment items on suitable bikes.

Triumph are quite good in this regard as they already tap their swingarms so they can accept a lower chain guard without any mods

Last edited:
Back