Pro's and cons Gen 4

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananaman

S1000RR Supporter
Reaction score
Ive yet to try the gen 4 can we have a diluted pros and cons on the gen 4 over the gen 3 from those who have had both ? Does it warrant the change for the money?

Be interesting to see others views. Bought my Gen 4 in June and is my first BMW bike. I’ve recently had it on track at Alcarras for 3 days and was blown away by it so much that I’ve sold my Ducati 899 Trioptions track bike and bought a gen 3 track bike. I won’t get a chance to ride it until February at Jerez so would be nice to see others opinions.

Re: Gen 4

The Gen 3 felt like a bus compared to the 4, steering and tip-in are worlds apart. Torque is such that 6th gear on the 4 feels like 4th on the earlier bike - which itself was no slouch in the mid range. The 4 doesn’t seem to have that scary top end because it’s got such strong performance lower down, so no big leap at 12k. I preferred the riding position of the 3, more sit-in. Suspension on the 4’s much more refined. TFT and its additional functions are a clear, huge improvement. New model’s much much easier to go quick on without the level of drama that came with the earlier one. I can see that many people might prefer the drama though! 4 sounds crap compared to the 3, worth repeating - crap, even with an end can. Which do I prefer - my new M, absolutely no contest.

Be interesting to see others views. Bought my Gen 4 in June and is my first BMW bike. I’ve recently had it on track at Alcarras for 3 days and was blown away by it so much that I’ve sold my Ducati 899 Trioptions track bike and bought a gen 3 track bike. I won’t get a chance to ride it until February at Jerez so would be nice to see others opinions.

Does it have oe sussies or aftermarket ?

Ive yet to try the gen 4 can we have a diluted pros and cons on the gen 4 over the gen 3 from those who have had both ? Does it warrant the change for the money?

I would say it is a very different bike so backward comparisons are going to be subjective.

Feels more like a 600 but goes like a rocket.

I always felt the gen 3 was made for road with a bias towards use on track, whereas the gen 4 feels as though it was made for track and then they put the mirrors on.

ive had 11 and ,15 both were really good the 15 was much better the gen 1 in every way,on the test ride on the gen 4. it turned in much faster ,engine def spun up much quicker I liked the wider bars,pegs about right im 5ft 8in the dash is mint,i didn't like were the wheel thing on the left hand bar was I kept hitting it with my hand,brakes were really good,apart from the name,i would have liked a full belly pan like the 15,i think its a big leap forward from the gen 3,why don't bmw bolt on those nasty looking cats instead welding them:mad:

The Gen 3 felt like a bus compared to the 4, steering and tip-in are worlds apart. Torque is such that 6th gear on the 4 feels like 4th on the earlier bike - which itself was no slouch in the mid range. The 4 doesn’t seem to have that scary top end because it’s got such strong performance lower down, so no big leap at 12k. I preferred the riding position of the 3, more sit-in. Suspension on the 4’s much more refined. TFT and its additional functions are a clear, huge improvement. New model’s much much easier to go quick on without the level of drama that came with the earlier one. I can see that many people might prefer the drama though! 4 sounds crap compared to the 3, worth repeating - crap, even with an end can. Which do I prefer - my new M, absolutely no contest.

Your feedback on the sound saddens me :(

Your feedback on the sound saddens me :(

The monster cat is the issue - I reckon it’d sound no louder without any can attached! A full system would sort it. My 3 sound great with just a Yoshi LE55 can.

I heard 2 bikes in Spain with full systems and was dissapointed, but having had a full one put on mine it sounds awesome, so don't know what was going on with theirs.

I stuck an Akrapovic end can on mine, disconnected the exhaust valve - sounds good now.

Please explain to me the function of the exhaust valve and how does it benefit the sound by disconnecting? Thanks.

Please explain to me the function of the exhaust valve and how does it benefit the sound by disconnecting? Thanks.

If you look at the link pipes between the cat and the end can, you will notice their are 2 pipes - one wider than the other.

A valve completely closes off the wider pipe at low revs and partially closes at medium revs. When the exhaust gases are restricted to flowing through the smaller pipe, the sound is significantly reduced.

If you disconnect the valve (by unhooking the servo cables), the valve remains permanently open - so the exhaust sound is unmuted throughout the entire rev range.

If you look at the link pipes between the cat and the end can, you will notice their are 2 pipes - one wider than the other.

A valve completely closes off the wider pipe at low revs and partially closes at medium revs. When the exhaust gases are restricted to flowing through the smaller pipe, the sound is significantly reduced.

If you disconnect the valve (by unhooking the servo cables), the valve remains permanently open - so the exhaust sound is unmuted throughout the entire rev range.

Does this throw up any dashboard errors?

Back