2015 second service issues. oil leak and rattle.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r25sti

Reaction score
i took my 15 for its second service yesterday and when dropping it off i mentioned a slight drip of oil on the sump plug which was also there on the last service 12 months ago and a slight rattle on start up. got a call today and there going to replace the sump as they cannot find an obvious leak and think the same as me that it has a flaw in the casting, and there going to replace the headers as the rattle is the exhaust valve. over ?1500's worth of parts and labour and not a bat of an eye lid. great service from Motorad Gloucester so far. :)

I like posts like this that actually praise the work of dealers as they get a hard time. I myself have questioned work from a dealer in the past and have had a good experience. If my ten pence is worth anything it's easy for a customer to forget that you are going dealing with a premium product that is more expensive than other brands, on the flip slide of that the customer expects a certain level of service which includes being handled in the correct way, let's meet In the middle for the love of the bike..

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

i took my 15 for its second service yesterday and when dropping it off i mentioned a slight drip of oil on the sump plug which was also there on the last service 12 months ago and a slight rattle on start up. got a call today and there going to replace the sump as they cannot find an obvious leak and think the same as me that it has a flaw in the casting, and there going to replace the headers as the rattle is the exhaust valve. over ?1500's worth of parts and labour and not a bat of an eye lid. great service from Motorad Gloucester so far. :)

i was discussing the other day the merits of extending the warranty with Beavis as his bike is coming up for two years old. It's posts like this that reinforce the point for me that for around ?1 a day you can have peace of mind on such a hi tech piece of engineering, that everything is being looked after and in the unlikely event of a problem it is not going to hurt your pocket.
As opposed to my Adventure that is bomb proof and can be fixed with a hammer, I let the warranty go on that.

Sounds like a great dealer too.

JimmyMac

Very true Jimmy.

When I was in the dealer couple of weeks ago discussing some warranty items on my gsa the service manager told me that some of the dealers have been turning warranty work away using the excuse of items not being covered by warranty. Apparently the amount BMW pay the dealers for labour on warranty work is much less than the price we pay, so some unscrupulous dealers are trying to avoid doing work on bikes on that basis, instead telling customers they need to pay full whack. Really not good.

Probably going to upset everyone but can't understand how anyone can call it a premium product when you have to replace the sump and the headers on a bike that is in for only it's second service
Love my bike in one way but in another it's the most unreliable bike I've ever owned

Probably going to upset everyone but can't understand how anyone can call it a premium product when you have to replace the sump and the headers on a bike that is in for only it's second service
Love my bike in one way but in another it's the most unreliable bike I've ever owned
I've had far less issues with my old k2 GSXR 1000 and my gen 2 hayabusa than I've had with my BM

Mine was in for 2nd service the other week, and service fella said sump in great condition as they have done a few under warranty, I said I should think so as only done 3000miles in 2years Gsxr was fine for nearly 10 years.

Dean

the earlier bm's had sump issues with corrosion. this issue was slightly different as in the was a pin hole or flaw in the casting. even after it was removed they couldn't find a hole but still put a new one on. I had an MV before so little issues like this are no issue to me.lol

Mine is a 2015 and they said they have had corrosion issues.

Dean

the sump they took off mine was as clean and corrosion free as it could be but im a fair weather rider. my dealer said no issues with sumps since gen 1 and early gen 2's. who do you beleave.lol

Hopefully it's outside in and not inside out lol Mine very rarely see the rain.

You would have thought after the 1st and 2nd gen that this would have been solved although in 5yrs my gen1 was fine...

Last edited:
Back