Canbus Switching Issue with Nav powered

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
Hi All,

Got a weird one thats got me stumped, it might be obvious but....

I have wired up a Garmin sat nav via a cradle to the canbus plug next to the horn on the RHS (sitting on the bike). I have used a touratech plug and their plastic screw-in connectors (as I dont have a weld gun).

With the nav manually turned on (so I can see if it gets a charge):

When I turn the ignition on the nav unit appears to be getting NO charge

When I start up the engine it is the same, no charge.

When I turn the ignition off the nav unit appears to be getting a charge???? For a couple of minutes. I know that the canbus is supposed to do this (i.e. give power for a couple of minutes before switching off) but I am very confused as to why the bike is not giving power to the socket when the ignition is turned on but is when its turned off.

I have the front fork sensor plugged in on the other side but wouldn't have thought that would be an issue?

Coudl it be the wiring is dodgy, but then why does it get a charge when the ignition is off.

Weird??? any thoughts?

Can you take a pic of the connection? So I can see the wire colours on both sides

Is it a touratech plug that plugs into the bikes loom? If so how much was it? (Just interested as I sell them on eBay :) )

Can you take a pic of the connection? So I can see the wire colours on both sides

Is it a touratech plug that plugs into the bikes loom? If so how much was it? (Just interested as I sell them on eBay :) )

Hi bud,

Can't remember how much it was but I can check.

4cf51960688e2eed07678f0bd5314a1b.jpg

I bought the cradle second hand. The power cables had spades on so I cut the cable and found 3 black cables which threw me. I've used the thickest, couldn't find anything online referring to 3 black cables for power.

90aeec16733b4fe64391ded97e4002ed.jpg

Cable was ?22 + shipping.

Power cable BMW CAN BUS for GPS devices, universal Delivery 3-5 days
01-065-0289-01 ?22.00

Did not know you sell them too.

I wasn't aware the hp4 had a gps power plug, but I do know the '15 RR is wired up different than every other BMW, so if that lead is for a gs the pins will be wrong. I'm also unsure that is the plug you want, can you see what colour the other wires are? I can only see purple/green

Might that be the plug for the infrared receiver?

Yes it is, but as far as I was aware it would also power the garmin. Should be the same as a 2nd gen....

Have I done the right thing with the cradle cables, leaving the 2 thin black wires out of the circuit?

I don't know why they are there, have you got a meter to test which pins they go to?

No chance of that, I impressed myself getting the thing to work at all lol.

Reading on 'other' forums it might be the case that the socket I am using wont supply power on the HP4..... but its weird that it does provide power after ignition off, although if it for the laptimer it could be designed like that. Damn these race bikes homogenated for road use.

Is there a socket on the LHS that would supply power? I dont recall seeing one?

In all honesty I don't know, next time we have one in I'll be testing all the plugs to see as there's not much info about for em. If you just need a live and you don't mind running a little wire you can tap into a live after ign by the alarm

Sorry for jumping on this thread boys but I'm just about to wire my new Tom Tom on the my 2016 I take it the plug you have for sale Stephen is the one I'll require? [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No chance of that, I impressed myself getting the thing to work at all lol.

Reading on 'other' forums it might be the case that the socket I am using wont supply power on the HP4..... but its weird that it does provide power after ignition off, although if it for the laptimer it could be designed like that. Damn these race bikes homogenated for road use.

Is there a socket on the LHS that would supply power? I dont recall seeing one?

I would borrow or buy a voltmeter (eg this one for ?6 http://ebay.eu/2naIpIC ). First of all disconnect the wire to the cradle and just see if the canbus cable gives a 12 volts switched by ignition. If it does then you've probably got one of the black wires to the cradle mixed up.

Back