Rear brake adjustment

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dom501

Reaction score
Hi there folks,

I'm new and only joined the forum the other week. Does anyone know how to adjust the rear brake? (2015 s1000rr) As there is no mention of it in the manual, or could someone post a link. At the moment it too low and could do with it raising.

Thanks

Dom501

Don't think there is any adjustment on the standard rearsets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's probably why it isnt in the manual. I just want to adjust the pedal slightly bring it up a bit.

I went out and checked my bike and definitely no adjustment. You'd probably need to look at aftermarket rearsets. Or Gilles do adjustable footpegs,if they were slightly lower would have same effect as raising the brake lever.

I think I was being a bit naive in thinking that I could adjust them. As I can on my Honda 600F02 and KTM 1190 you may be right Stuart they probably need bleeding.

Mine was in for a service last month. Service desk called me... the usual trying to get wee add ons.

Surprisingly my rear brake did need bled, I never use it except at traffic lights, but he was dead right... the pedal didnt depress as far as it did prior to service.

Sent from Galaxy S7

You can adjust the peddle up, but I did this and it was ok for a bit, then one day I went out and the rear brake pumped it's self up and locked up the wheel. You've got to be careful not to adjust it to far and stop the fluid from being able to return though the system

I've just read the manual and they say to use DOT 4. I take it it's alright to use a good named brand say Castrol.

I've never bled brakes before, but I've just been watching some vids using pneumatic bleeders (which don't cost the earth) and it looks quite straight forward. I've always taken my bikes to the garage, now I know it's this simple I think I'll give it a go myself.

Dot4 and Dot5.1 are interchangeable.

I'd just top up with whatever is in there.

- Sent from Mobile

Every rear brake of every sthou I have ridden has had a lot of travel in it before biting. I dont think bleeding the brake is going to give you a better outcome. I'll be interested to know if you get a similar experience to Stuart once you do it.

This is what I did to my brake pedal. I too, found the pedal to be too low for me but more importantly, I found that the actual pedal part to be too short and I kept missing the brake as a consequence! I made an alloy extension and fixed it to the pedal using stainless counter sunk screws and lock nuts. This did the trick for me by packing up the pedal by about half an inch or so and also lengthening it by about the same. The only way I could see to raise the pedal was by removing metal from the the pedal stop, or by fine adjustment of the push rod.

Rearsets

You might want to consider investing in a set of aftermarket rearsets. They will be infinitely more adjustable and, if you ride on track, will offer far better ground clearance.

Re: Rearsets

You're probably right Ryan. I must say I have thought about it but I've been rather side tracked with some carbon bits, Akrapovic can and my Alpha suspension springs etc. So it may well be my next purchase, though to be honest, I don't find the riding position a problem for me, now I can operate the rear brake:smug:

Back