Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Alex - My new toy...

Bike looking great Alex, I ordered mine with the pillion pack but in hindsight don't think I'll ever use it either for touring or carrying a passenger. Probably going to sell it on and get a cover and exhaust bracket.

Hadn't thought of the exhaust bracket. I think I'll just find a seat on eBay

- Sent from Mobile

5f4938ea5e18210b544f68094966081d.jpg

Well to finish things off I had to get the drill out and move the holes for the tail section. Remove the side stand. And drill through the seat pad to expose some Dzus points.

But its all done and today I dropped the bike in Swindon and packed it off to Jerez.

Sent it out on the stock tyres (K3's) with the new CompK RR's ready to fit at the end of day one.

Now to relax about it all till the evening of the 14th when we sign in...

- Sent from Mobile

I've used dental floss on similar stuff before. Leaves a bit of residue but a bit of petrol on a rag soon sorts that out.

a32fc2c5e34ad8f39a25a3a538034c66.jpg

Thought i had a bit of a friday afternoon engine...till I realised all the dark gunk was off the chain. Its now much cleaner, BMW gunk removed!

- Sent from Mobile

If it's like any other new sthou the inside of the front sprocket cover will be caked in shit too. I recommend getting it off and giving it all a good cleanup.

When will you be back on the road / repaired etc?

Yeah, I stripped the cover off and cleaned everything I could - pre-Jerez I didn't have the time or inclination. Btw the chain has stretched a lot.

All the track stuff is off, wheels included, given it a clean where I wouldn't normally be able to get to. Now the rebuild can begin and the wheel can go down to FWR to have the road tyres refitted (currently on slicks).

I think I've ordered everything I need;
* Alpha Frame Sliders
* Alpha Right Hand Peg
* GB-Racing Alternator Cover
* Gilles Brake Lever Guard
* Bremo Brake Lever
* 2016 Rear brake master cylinder w/ plunger!

The exhaust scuffs can wait.

But as I'm always finding a new drama, today I found some tank paint damage on removing the tank cover...need to work out what to do with that. I can get some paint on it, but, sigh, it will never be perfect again. Might get it wrapped...

Last edited:
Yeah, I stripped the cover off and cleaned everything I could - pre-Jerez I didn't have the time or inclination. Btw the chain has stretched a lot.

All the track stuff is off, wheels included, given it a clean where I wouldn't normally be able to get to. Now the rebuild can begin and the wheel can go down to FWR to have the road tyres refitted (currently on slicks).

I think I've ordered everything I need;
* Alpha Frame Sliders
* Alpha Right Hand Peg
* GB-Racing Alternator Cover
* Gilles Brake Lever Guard
* Bremo Brake Lever
* 2016 Rear brake master cylinder w/ plunger!

The exhaust scuffs can wait.

But as I'm always finding a new drama, today I found some tank paint damage on removing the tank cover...need to work out what to do with that. I can get some paint on it, but, sigh, it will never be perfect again. Might get it wrapped...

I cover my tank with gaffa tape before tank cover goes on

On the subject of chains, Stephen did me a new chain and sprockets on Friday. First replacements from new, 14k miles, many trackdays etc. The chain and sprockets were still in good condition but some of the chain flex was going so I wanted to be proactive and not lose a leg. I think the chain BMW are fitting to bikes now must be different and made from cheese?

On the tank paint, would a good touch up kit do the job with a lacquer?

Runs fine, no PCV.
No mention of warranty when fitting. So therefore, I fail to see how it can be invalidated.

- Sent from Mobile

Back