Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thoughts on the BMW Comfort Seat.
I'm 5'11ish, if I don't slouch.
I'm 87Kgs.

On a Grey/Black bike, the seats splash of white jar's aesthetically. I want to re-cover it.
It looks to be 20mm higher and a bit more plump all over compared to the stocker. Pushing a thumb into the seat pad sees it push in an appreciable amount.

Covered around 300miles over the weekend. I'm not in great condition, have a bit of a bad back so I've taken that into account.

Overall, very comfy, no backside or leg complaints, felt more comfortable on the motorway. The extra legroom is good and makes things more roomy, you can still tuck well enough. I found it easier to stay pushed back on the seat at high speeds than the stocker, adding to my comfort over distance.

Where I think it falls down, is around town, it does lead to more pressure on the wrists especially when your core is a bit compromised.
Does it ruin it, no, 'cause lets face it, sports bikes are not meant to be battling over Tower Bridge, dodging cyclists at 20mph...and I just need to do better at supporting my weight.

Thanks for the detailed write up Alex!

Was just wondering what material the comfort seat cover is made of? Is it like stock, or is it gripper?

Basically the same but the profile front to back is different (flatter).

- Sent from Mobile

Yes I think if I recover it I will look to use a grippier material, so it's good for track too.

Meanwhile... (4 weeks later)

f113fa42ced54a04652406f3197d827a.jpg

- Sent from Mobile

Yeah - only one I could find that they said would fit the '17.

Trying to get it on without scratching it will be a trick. Comes with bracket for the rear section.

Last edited:
I was at AJ earlier and talking to a chap with a 15 plate with the full carbon bellypan on his, they look very nice on the bike.

Yeah - only one I could find that they said would fit the '17.

Trying to get it on without scratching it will be a trick. Comes with bracket for the rear section.

Will the 15-16 not fit because you have the cat removed or do they have a slight difference in mounting?

Yes in 'theory' every 15/16 should fit, however I wanted to go with a guaranteed option where I could send it back if it was wrong.

- Sent from Mobile

I have 2 tasks ahead of me. 1 slightly odder than the other.

1. Fit the Ilmberger Racing Carbon Bellypan - Part No: VEU-356-S1R15-K
2. Apply some vinyl wrap to the tank to hide the blemishes post Jerez :sadpanda:

On with the first.

I offered up the bellypan last night, all seemed good. Where the stock part uses one screw on the leading edge of the grey RR panel, the Ilmberger demands 2. Where the stock has a screw point in the centre of the undertray the Ilmberger has none.
So you move the spare retainer clips from the central mounts to the spare ones on the RR Side panel.
At the front, the rad shroud is IMO needed up top but not at the bottom. Some work was required here. Detailed below.
I brought the shroud and bellypan back in to the flat for fettling. My first option was to slot the lower unit in, to help hold the belly pan up and finish off the sides under the nose. As you might expect, having seen this thread that wasn't going to happen.

afaea02608489d7da3039af660b3e8e4.jpg

As this lip might have been all that was blocking it, I removed it.

8e71fb792130042291573d345483eb8f.jpg

cb55a003f69d1462d7b2462341038466.jpg

No dice. So I moved to extreme measures...and cut the uprights off the lower piece.

3984324907db1b89531ddfd110d5168a.jpg

Whilst I was getting the drill powerpack out and starting to charge it, I noticed a roll of 3M VHB tape I'd never managed to use. I decided that I would give this a go instead of drilling the carbon to attach the uprights. I made this decision because once on the bike the load should not be significant.

d6f6adcd83f3bdb1c57eeb0f0ac2df2c.jpg

a118133220be09339d8ff38396d0e015.jpg

0b41930fd7b1525fadb3ab44794ee4c7.jpg

If it shouldn't work long term I can move to drill two holes either side and mount them with screws. I'll attempt to fit it tonight.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
alpha Racing Rearsets

How are you getting on with your alpha Racing rearsets?

All sorted, they sent me a pdf with part no's etc. Picked out the bits I needed. Ordered. Arrived. Fitted :)

The rearset themselves are good, nice and solid. Pegs being a large diameter are very comfy!

- Sent from Mobile

alpha Racing Rearsets

I'm very tempted to buy a set. The HP rearsets are extremely good but you simply can't get hold of spare parts for them from either BMW or Gilles who make them.

They did have a shortage of pegs which delayed things...but overall happy.

1 catch on special spare parts orders, you have to pay by IBAN / bank xfer to Germany. My bank charges ?4 each time.

- Sent from Mobile

Last edited:
Back