Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered - costs about a tenner...but they will personally deliver in the morning. (Park Lane is being quite helpful moment).

I think they run a few parts to garages locally, I am 2 miles from the parts dept so easy detour distance.

- Alex

To my mind 824 should be part 4 on the page not part 3.
8b57d1c5188a779dcf75141fcda1868a.jpg

- Alex

OEM Part

To my mind 824 should be part 4 on the page not part 3.

It certainly looks that way when you compare the part you received to the one pictured. It wouldn?t be the first time that BMW parts fiches are incorrect.

2017 Microfiche is different!

I got a quick snap of the parts for the 2017 frame. One in yellow is what I needed.
a220036aca8d2ccb1c617587ded528e2.jpg

- Alex

Fixed :)

Next up, warranty replacement of the battery, on charging it this weekend the optimate gave an amber green solid test result meaning the battery is not in the best of health (not the worst either).

Going to have them test it on Friday and with luck issue a replacement the same day.
3ecf814096f9f8237ccf55a5a053354d.jpg

- Alex

On last Sunday's ride, I started to become aware of a significant brake judder, mainly just as she came to a halt.

Ergh, me thinks, the disc is buggered and needs a clean...

Next stop, no its more violent than that...

Manouvering at a petrol station I can hear grinding.

Miles from home something is deeply wrong, so I ploughed on and used the back brake more than any rider of an S1000RR in history :)

Spot the odd pad out...and the ones very close to joining it. Monies worth had or maybe not, looking into the cooling holes of the discs there seems to be a lot of material build up. Possibly the pads went soft in the rain in Scotland and the wear rate went through the roof.

These are Performance Friction Compound 95 pads, they are fantastic on track, but they do need heat to bite.

I'm going to get the dremmel out to clean the discs.
6026fc0e9220303067699c370eff5004.jpg
057ff61fda555d5387baedf94287a892.jpg
5901fe80e1ed1428ce0ae7c401bb52e8.jpg
1208a8b38c749eb3d7938a8135ff73c7.jpg
201e6bb23ee8ba3d9834149f46843d23.jpg

- Alex

As the pads had to be changed, I had spare slightly worn Brembo SC's and SBS HS870's to choose from so I went to stick in the trusty SC's after a damn good clean of the calipers.

I was pushing the pistons back in on the last caliper (LHS) when the damn top inside pot got out too far and then skewed through ham fisted-ness. See pic.

Ok, thought I, place some pressure in the right place and it will pop back into line.

Nope.

Got a box, placed the caliper on the box and pressed the piston more firmly.

Nope.

Oh feck.

I have a pot out passed the centre line and immobile. Trust me I was using some leverage and weighting it on the raised side to pop it down.

I had a quick chat with BMW Battersea and they mentioned emergency support etc could collect it.

So I had a plan if all else failed. So there was one last thing to try.

I secured open the pistons which worked (lower pair). Then pumped the brake lever pushing out the only other piston pot.
The fact that the jammed one was over the half way point meant its pair couldn't fall out. So I pumped it out till it met the skewed one. One last squeeze...

'Clink' the skewed pot click back inline. All I had to do now was ease both back in...that went fine. But I do think that caliper needs a tear down and clean going forwards.

What I learnt from this is that the pistons need to travel out passed the centre line to fall out, which means to can pump them all the way out to the centre for cleaning. I had not dared go that far before. But is seems that its pretty safe.

Just thought those two lessons were worth sharing.
0abd29cf8db5a060a273850928e2ed03.jpg

- Alex

New battery fitted under warranty at BMW Battersea (Park Lane). Cost to me ?0.

Simon is a pleasure to deal with there, props to him.

The battery wouldn't clear 75% healthy on my optimate, they confirmed that in their test. Think I deep cycled (drained) too many times. Although other Gen3 batteries have also failed early so maybe a batch problem.

- Alex

New battery fitted under warranty at BMW Battersea (Park Lane). Cost to me ?0.

Simon is a pleasure to deal with there, props to him.

The battery wouldn't clear 75% healthy on my optimate, they confirmed that in their test. Think I deep cycled (drained) too many times. Although other Gen3 batteries have also failed early so maybe a batch problem.

- Alex

That's a good result. Was the oem battery a Yuasa?

Had a bit of a surprise at Cadwell...f**k knows how I ended up with this, no wonder it stuck like s**t to a blanket.
fc9fc42e2bdf1271a632a7ede461fdf3.jpg

- Alex

Back