Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard_Braking.JPG

I might finally be in the ball park for hard braking without smashing the springs flat. Screen grab from a late brake at Snetterton.
Bottom out is the small black smudge line of dirt in the middle of the silver fork leg...to the left of the pot sensor rod.

10.0Nm springs
MCT Preload Shim
9 turns of preload (MCT Preloader starts with 6 turns)
DDC in Slick
+3 Compression
+3 Rebound
2D pot sensor

I've added another point of rebound just to help hold the front down in a turn...for next time.

FWIW rear is on default preload and oem spring
+3 Rebound
+2 Compression - might add more to try and reduce the wheelies (keep the weight forwards)

I'm 90kg without gear...sadly.

Lots of blue spots on them. Need a run out gauge and to check/clean the bobbins/mount points.

Re: Snetterton

You can brake later than that!
Braking at the 300 seems right to me, trailing to the apex on the left.

Just watched a vid on YouTube of @baz and he's on the brakes from the 300 too...

Its the 200 in the pic.

- Alex

Last edited:
Rhs
e0c71f8260d03a31c09590ac1d372e1d.jpg

- Alex

Ouch thats not good at all, we weren't braking that hard nor was it that hot, both of us with no good SC pads :(

Mine were a little aged but still...don't forget those of us who don't corner as fast, brake more...

- Alex

Now I see this ring has popped out too. There was a load of grease around but then I grease the axle everytime...

Is the wheel bearing done for? I have never had one fail or had them changed on any bike so not sure whats ok or not...
a242056910c3562af7af4bec7c28dad5.jpg
d176141c488ae825756ab2acdaea06b6.jpg

- Alex

That would suppose I stopped and looked...

- Alex

LOL ! Meant after each track day/ride…. Fitted some Brembo sc and they were wasted after a day at Donny, only reason I found out was because my red wheel was black , shan't be using them again, stuck some gpfax in for next weekend to try..

Snetterton - Sector 3

Braking at the 300 seems right to me, trailing to the apex on the left

The 300 marker is a useful braking reference. You can apply the brakes harder and later beyond that point if you have confidence in the front end. Try not to trail brake too late into T8 as you can carry a lot of speed into the left before physically throwing the bike over to the right to get through T9 as quickly as possible. If you scrub off too much speed at this point it will affect your lap time as you will loose forward momentum and approach the very fast T10 too slowly. That then affects your entry speed going into Coram. Working on the fast Sector 3 will help your lap times no end.

Couple of bits arrived from Alpha today. Might be overkill, I don't care, but I decided to take a look at the DLC coated brake pistons. And this is them.

Not held a stocker to compare but I've quickly learned they pick up fingerprints, so I'd better not touch them without gloves again.

There are no new seals with them. This was a risk I took when ordering. Not sure if I can order new ones without oem piston refurb kit :/ I will check later.

The other bit is just a brake lever guard for my clipons.
1c316bc6915e55ef2340eeee226bf11e.jpg
ddc6ad22deda1177f6595140f70d7970.jpg

- Alex

I love BMW plastics...this what happened to my '12 as well.

There's a zero mile nose on eBay, guess I'll grab that...
9e58701f5e4d3ed1713fb94cdd813db6.jpg

- Alex

Back