Alex - 2017 S1000RR - Grey/Black

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M5! Jeez bet they fight for the keys for that one!!

Hahah, it's all a blur at those speeds anyway!

Last edited:
There was an accident on the M3 the other night the bike cop came through past me and put his lights on. Slight heart attack on my part till he started weaving to slow all lanes down. I then sat there chatting to him for a couple of hours as I used to train the guys at Burpham after the multiple deaths of their officers in the 90?s. That unit covers the SW quarter of the M25 and surrounding areas. When I trained them They had 8 bikes, 2 riders each. Now 1 bike, 2 riders. That RT engine is never turned off apart from shift changes. Seriously overstretched. He has to Twitter each reason for roads being shut as well.

Wow- busy boys with shrinking budgets, must be tricky. I follow some of the groups on Twitter, recently Sussex & Surrey Roads Policing Units have been enforcing more strictly, fines/section 59s etc.

I ride quick but never speed on major roads or country roads I don?t know intimately, not just for police but I need to know where people do stupid things. Dodgy junctions, hidden dips/crests etc. I stick to the limits in all villages but in derestricted areas where it?s safe, no side turns I make ?due progress? as they say.

Went to Snetterton 3x in recent days.

23/6 - Road bike day with MSVT
13-14/7 - Normal Trackdays w/NL - @bananaman in attendance too.

The road bike day was good to blow off the cobwebs but it wasn't quick. Last session of the day I managed a 2:14 but all were very bitty sessions, it was good but I never really got up to the speed I should have early enough in the day. I feel like I struggle with Snetterton more than most other tracks...

I was running Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa II's and the rear is a 200/60, it's tall, it lifted the rear and damn, she started hunting for the apex. Maybe it was input as well but I felt sure the ride height was making a difference. So much so that I took the idea forwards to the next TD more on that later. Tyres were good and gripped well, no issues, probably because I don't use the edge enough ;) , ran 33/29 off the warmers, complete guess but they survived Coram. The 16/46 gearing was lunacy there for getting a good drive in 2nd gear...starting either straight in 2nd meant the front was just lifting so I had to either short shift or just use 3rd instead in Williams and Murrays.

Also I found the braking really off, I had new ORO discs and SC pads (bedded in on the road) and fresh BMW brake fluid. Coming into the Brundle/Nelson I just wasn't getting the retardation I expected and put me right off trying to brake hard or late...again I'd have think about this before the next TD's.

Did a video of a half acceptable lap - still my usual issues of lift and coast...

Last edited:
The NL track days were back on the VO2's and in the fast group.
The VO2's were part worn, at Jerez, 3LC rear and medium front with a track temp above 20degrees.
I changed the gearing to 16/44 which allowed the rear axle to come back.
I changed the pads to Z04 and the tyres were mounted on rims with SuperSport HPK discs.
I also added a turn of ride height to the rear (Ohlins TTX) to try to get the bike to turn as nicely as it did on the taller DRC2's.

16/44 worked a treat, 2nd became much more useful, wheelied less and drove hard, it drove hard in every gear...hard enough to close Tarran McKenzie on Bentley straight...when i had no camera's on the bike, what a 'fail'. Love the power, its hilarious storming passed all other litre bikes on the straights in full road trim...headlights blazing. Does mean though that picking a braking point is hard and I am getting really bad at picking a point to transition from throttle to brakes and ending up with a proper coast between the two states. The one time I really went for it I sailed off down the escape road (facepalm).

The Z04's bite so much harder than the SC's hugely more confidence inspiring even at my pace. I will try out SBS DS's next time as I hear they are as good but cheaper.

The ride height change worked - again she wanted to find the apex more than ever, turning inside other bikes when I really wanted it, and combined with the greater use of 2nd when in the turn it just worked much better. Throttle timing in the corner is still a work in progress but there were wins. Oh and I also managed to take 2 turns of preload off so that I could run lower in the stroke. (I was 6 turns up on what was orginally set by HM which is why it probably needed balancing with a rear ride height change...)

The one real bugbear left was the seat, it's too low for me on track and too slippery imo. I would like to run a small CRC seat with the road fairings at a track day - going to look into that as B-man has a spare.

Talking of Bananaman it was another great trip - he is a legend :) Brought the BBQ for the evenings, tea and coffee and gave me a Soft rear scrub to murder in the last 3 sessions. I will be working on ways to pay him back (I tried money) :) Though I think he takes plenty of amusement from making sure he clocks a time 1 second faster than whatever I do >:p

Super happy with where the bike is at right now. I'll be making no major changes before Donington on the 23rd of July. As always the rider needs the most work :) I'm knackered from clinging on with a slippery seat (acceleration and peg placement)!

2:12 - 2:13

360 Camera with @bananaman following

Last edited:
Over a year since a post here.

The bike had a thorough going over in the last fortnight. Brakes overhauled/service/stripped nekked and dressed in track clothes.

Switched to Race Shift
Stuck on the brake ducts
Wheels looking mint (Titax)

Lets hope nothing ruins Mugello from here...

eda60c2c44390330fa41595004511552.jpg

23456f1ea2c524dcfe74145ff3c10fe4.jpg

318d8cda10bd5a01bdd04ff7c6debde6.jpg

0b731399ae3e619eaac77dc977ca4082.jpg

f026d801578cc104601b99fa42748cb3.jpg

ed0d6931972cafee69ccf6aa76decee4.jpg

ec905ec2bd33b09225df5f9c39e57312.jpg

262d4aaa3b1a02bf68b9bdb563a5983b.jpg

8ead6fd8095218715ffe9083fc55dc10.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Front right and Rear Right? yes ;) :p

Just not on the left hand side.

2 new rears and a front going in the van. Scrubs for morning 1.

Last edited:
Over a year since a post here.

The bike had a thorough going over in the last fortnight. Brakes overhauled/service/stripped nekked and dressed in track clothes.

Switched to Race Shift
Stuck on the brake ducts
Wheels looking mint (Titax)

Lets hope nothing ruins Mugello from here...

Just few weeks to go

IMG-20200812-190947.jpg

Bike looks great Alex! I am hoping to get to Mugello in September. I expect a full report :)

BBB, did you go prior to the 5 day quarantine rule?

Finally managed to buy my bike a proper home.
Now to kit it out.

(Sainsburys delivery with the outstanding job of leaving the security tag on the Champers [emoji2359])

32aa9f5f528ed3c18db6e44b9147789a.jpg

d1fc8c255869072cc8f41faa31164610.jpg

Last edited:
Back