Best brake pad upgrade??

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlcouk

Reaction score
Anyone got any experience/advice on brake pads they've tried over the stock items on Gen 3 SK1??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OEM's are pretty good all round...BMW and Brembo did their homework.

I found the SBS HS870's had a bit more initial bite to them.

If you're interested in track work then there are many options culminating in the Brembo Z04 race pad which is ~?300 for a full set!

Thanks Alex! Agree the OEM items are pretty Damn good. I've got quite a bit of lever travel now after a few track days so was just wondering if the pads could be improved any.

Would these Z04 pads work in the road as well, or are the specific for fast high temperatures etc?

Brembo Z04 Front Brake Pads

Brembo Z04 brake pads are absolutely not recommended for road use.

Brembo

The Z04 is Brembo's main race brake pad whereas the Z03 compound is designed for endurance racing. Both are absolutely not recommended for road use.

The EBC double sintered pads are a great pad for the road

I have them on the bike with Galfer wavey discs and the braking is unreal.

Versrah RJL ROAD
Vesrah SRJL TRACK

These I have tested them and they are very good.

Thanks Alex! Agree the OEM items are pretty Damn good. I've got quite a bit of lever travel now after a few track days so was just wondering if the pads could be improved any.

Would these Z04 pads work in the road as well, or are the specific for fast high temperatures etc?

Pads shouldn't affect lever travel?

Ok, what else should I be looking at?

Surely if the pads reduce in thickness the pots require more fluid to work as they have to travel a greater distance, hence more pressure and travel at the lever??

I only assumed it's pads as the lever travel was fine prior to the last track day.

Wouldn't have thought the fluid would be an issue and I've checked the discs callipers and lines, and they're all as they should be.... any ideas?

The fluid reservoir should take up any slack in the breaking system, if you have alot of travel you must have a bit of air in the system.

Ok, what else should I be looking at?

Surely if the pads reduce in thickness the pots require more fluid to work as they have to travel a greater distance, hence more pressure and travel at the lever??

I only assumed it's pads as the lever travel was fine prior to the last track day.

Wouldn't have thought the fluid would be an issue and I've checked the discs callipers and lines, and they're all as they should be.... any ideas?

Have you had a look at your pads to check the wear on them?

Thanks all for the helpful advice and tips. I'm going to remove and inspect the pads and do a bleed on the fluid I think and see if that improves any. The bike has only covered 1900 miles, majority on road but a few full track days too, so maybe a bit of excessive wear on the pads I guess, but with not knowing the 'average' wear rate on the OEM pads it's hard to gauge. Trial and error I guess.

I think I'll definitely stick with Brembo pads to go with the callipers and if they do look like they're on the thin side, might try the fast road & track items Alex mentioned earlier in the thread.

Not sure if you will get any value from this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OpxkE6MWXU but I was surprised at how easy it appears to be.

Couple of things:

HP4 calipers are different from your bike but the principles are the same.

I'd recommend using electrical tape on the wheel rims where you pull the calipers off so the paint doesn't get damaged if knocked.

You shouldn't need to use a screwdriver (or anything else) to widen the gap between the new pads when refitting the calipers, they should go on the disc without further fettling.

Follow the torque values from the manual for the calipers bolts, dont guesstimate. (38nm I think?).

Back