S1000xr 2016

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bike does not hunt, I think all bikes have some vibes even the s1000rr, I don't notice anything above the RR's that I have owned. I sold my RR, I would have it back though as I do like a race bike. I have to say though I went out in the week for 3 hours with a friend on a GSXR he came back complaining of sore wrists and neck pain, When i left him I went for another run for 2 hours.

I use the quick shifter and blipper between all gears as i did not the RR.
Thanks for the info mate, I went out on my S1000RR today and covered 180 miles and Im still not sure if I could give it up!! My dilema is that I also have a 1050 Tiger that is so very good as an upright bike for 2 up etc etc. I suppose I will have to take another (longer) test ride on the XR and then px both the RR and the Tiger.

Have not heard many Xr complaints apart from the GS owners that changed to the XR, then, changed back lol.

Ive got an XR with all toys (Sport SE) and its completely tremendous. Ive done 10k miles in the year I have had it and its been brilliant. I work in Solihull part of each week and I got it to commute the 100 mile round trip from home. Ive also been to Valencia and LeMans for the MotoGP. Think of it as a comfy sportsbike rather than a GS alternative. Ive got the BMW XR panniers which look nice fitted but are not that big. I have a GS Vario top box though as it makes life a lot easier commuting as a 15" laptop fits in it very nicely.

In terms of practicality I get 200 miles on a tank though the low fuel light comes on with maybe 45 miles to go. The trip computer is pretty good and when it gets to zero miles range there is 1 litre of fuel left. The RR has lots more top end performance. RR is 25 kg lighter and has 40 bhp more so thats no surprise.

Quickshifter works between all the gears including 1st and 2nd and is very smooth provided you are on the gas changing up and off the gas changing down. Its a very rapid bike and I find it very easy to either bimble along or blast through the lanes. The wide bars make changing direction real easy and whilst its tall and bulky compared to an RR it feels light and wieldy on the move.

You will find GS owners tend not to like them which may be just expectations (they aren't slow and don't vibrate like a tractor, also the luggage isn't that big and wind protection less effective than a GS). If you are used to sports bikes then you will love an XR.

I've just swapped my old Aprilia RSV-R for an 2017 S1RR Sport (I get it next week) and so will have an XR and an RR (lucky me!!). They do different and complimentary jobs but both share easy and accessible performance in a well made and toy laden package. I will do some commuting to get my 600 miles done and probably do some European tours on the RR - just because I fancy it. BMW really have got that making great bikes thing sorted.

Back