Shift Spring Upgrade

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpuss

Reaction score
Ok, random one from me tonight!

Have just finished fitting the Alpha Racing Shift Detent spring, followed everything by the book and now bike is horrendously clunky, seems to find false neutrals between gears and isn't always showing gear position on dash.

I've only run it on the paddock stand and have left the HM Quickshifter on killtime and sensitivity I had with standard spring. Hoping it's dry tomorrow so I can nip along the road and see if it works under load!

Any help or ideas as I'm baffled?!?!

N.B
Didn't oil plates before re-fitting as they're not new so thought they'd be well soaked by now.
Re-fitted pack in same order it came out.

i did this mod before xmas and it is stiffer but thats what its meant to do. i do think the qs will need adjusting but nothing like road testing as you need the torque through the gearbox to make things feel right. i also replaced the shift shaft as these can wear too. ive only run mine on stands so far too.

I'm hoping a road test will sort, else I've not put something back in there properly as no gear position sensor must mean it's not engaging the next gear properly so the sensor isn't detecting what gear it's supposed to be in!

Bit baffled as the only thing I can think that i did wrong was pull in the clutch whilst all the clutch was out, clutch seems to have adjusted fine on re-assembly so thought nothing of it!

Looks like a purchase of some more cover bolts and get it apart again, bummer!

i just reused my bolts this time but will swap if i need it apart again. sounds like the clutch is in ok if when it went together it felt and adjusted ok. dose it go through the gears ok if you just turn the rear wheel by hand as you select the gears.

Seems to randomly go in gear then not, then show gear position on dash then not! Ran it up gently on the stands and I can get thru the gears but random neutrals appeared and then it cut out a couple of times! No crunching or grinding, just a more resounding clunk when engaging first.

Bonkers.

Plot thickens when on stand goes into first, nice clunk as normal, with clutch while I turn the wheel by hand.

When changing up dash show second during change but bike drops into a false neutral with no gear displayed on the dash.

Sounds like I've messed up somewhere on re-assembly!

r25sti can you confirm that the thrust rod goes on before the pressure plate please?

I think I pushed the thrust rod in once I'd fitted the plate!! If so that explains it all as nothing is disengaging properly!

Plot thickens when on stand goes into first, nice clunk as normal, with clutch while I turn the wheel by hand.

When changing up dash show second during change but bike drops into a false neutral with no gear displayed on the dash.

Sounds like I've messed up somewhere on re-assembly!

Probably not related, but mine does this when cold - having never owned a s1000rr before, nor a bike with a quickshifter, I'm not confident enough to say its a mechanical fault with the bike or the wobbling mass of flesh on top of it. After maybe, 5 mins of riding (maybe less ];-> ) the quickshifter doesnt find false neutrals.

When it is cold I get them on the up and downshift - embarrassing.

Sussed the issue, I must have misaligned/ torqued up the shift detent roller bolt whilst it wasn' seated correctly which bent it ever so slightly. This caused the detent roller to catch on the inside of the case and not keep the star shifter (end of the selector rod) locked in place when going through the gears.

Fully explains the lack of gear position shown on the dash and also why it wouldn't stay in any gear. Fault diagnosed! New parts on the way!

Thanks to thos I tortured late last night!

Easerly done . I had "issues" when installing new clutch on the r1

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Should've made sure it selected all gears before putting everything back together! Bit like measure twice cut once!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, theres all ways something.lol. why have you changed the spring in the first place? i changed mine as i had a couple of missed gears between 5th and 6th. when i did mine i changed the shift rod and bearings too. when i ordered it from the bmw place they asked why i wanted it and after saying about my problem they checked the uk stock of the shift rod, they said there had been 4 sold in the uk that month which as he said was a high level sales part. meaning there is obviously an issue coming up with them.

Exactly the same reason suddenly ended up between gears at 5th and 6th, usual issue people talk about, not fun at Silverstone on the back straight.

Thought I'd try the spring first and see if that cures it and then buy the rest later, I looked at the shift star and it didn't look worn at all.

How easy was it to do the shift rod and bearings?

I

fairly easy, getting the old roller bearings out was a twat. i bought a small bearing puller in the end. (cheap off ebay). put the new bearings in freezer over night and warmed the casing with blow torch and they popped in easy enough with a length of threaded bar and some washers. I dont think the bearings needed doing and could have just done the shaft. about ?200 for all the bits with a new seal too. the shift star on mine was also unmarked.

My clutch will be coming out tomorrow so I can modify the clutch basket to improve oil flow through the plates to make race starts easier

Last edited:
Extra holes drilled I presume?

Doing it yourself or elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys - sorry to re-open this thread but ive ordered the Factory Pro detent spring and just wondering if you can point me at the step by step instrcutions for replacement please? Also any gotchas other than what you mention in this thread to look out for?

Thanks,
Rob.

Hi guys - sorry to re-open this thread but ive ordered the Factory Pro detent spring and just wondering if you can point me at the step by step instrcutions for replacement please? Also any gotchas other than what you mention in this thread to look out for?

Thanks,
Rob.

Best Info I could find Rob, no pics I'm afraid. I put alpha racing one in or my mech did :) about 2 hrs labour so cheap fix

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...cks-clutch-mod-heavy-duty-clutch-springs.html

Thanks for this and I did come across it on my search but would of preferred some pics :) I think I'll just get stuck in and take my time as normal. Take it you have noticed a marked improvement? Did it fix false neutrals for you?

Back