Engine casing bolts.

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazzy

Reaction score
I've been looking at casing protectors and have noticed most seem to be supplied with cap head allen bolts. I was thinking of changing my casing bolts to cap heads anyway as I've got a garage full of them from previous bikes, I wondered if anyone else had done this and if there's any issues with doing it.

I've been looking at casing protectors and have noticed most seem to be supplied with cap head allen bolts. I was thinking of changing my casing bolts to cap heads anyway as I've got a garage full of them from previous bikes, I wondered if anyone else had done this and if there's any issues with doing it.

Just fitted Chinese metal case covers which use the allenkey head bolts, seem ok and the covers are solid....

Thanks for the reply, yeah it's Chinese ones I was looking at, I thought if they're allen heads I'd do the lot as I've plenty of stainless to hand, just wondered what the thoughts were towards stainless. I do like the colour scheme on your bike Bananaman, is it track only? it does look the part.

I use stainless steel for almost everything and never had a problem. I rebuilt a Kawasaki last year and every nut bolt and washer is stainless apart from the engine mountings and suspension mountings. The only thing I'd say is it is heavier than the standard carbon steel bolts that will be in most things. It is a bit more prone to galvanic corrosion into aluminium I.e engine casings etc. A bit of copper slip won't hurt

Coppaslip! I love the stuff, never put a bolt in without it, and I've never not been able to remove a bolt when it's been used.

That colour scheme just does it for me mate.. it's slightly the wrong shade of green (Think Glasgow football team) but it looks amazing.

Sent from Galaxy S7

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, stainless it is then. And less pies to compensate for the weight gain.

Thanks lads, yes, my best yet....Based on the s1000rr electric project bike so can't take all the credit. Green paintwork should have been couple of shades darker but had to match the green on the decals which a friend did. Mainly track but sometimes gets a 'gentle' road walk :tranquillity:

Back