akropovic ti carbon full exhaust system

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxon

Reaction score
right I am thinking of selling my akropovic stubby end can and replacing it with a full akro system.Is it worth the extra cost,i was worried about will I be covered by my insurance company as all full systems say not road legal.I like the hexagonal carbon end can the best with the full system and will I need a remap as well as air filter?and will all the exhaust sensors fit onto the akro exhaust system without any mods.

I've not had an insurance issue.
Airfilter and remap are not required.
No idea on the sensors - someone else fitted it.

I've not had an insurance issue.
Airfilter and remap are not required.
No idea on the sensors - someone else fitted it.
whats the best place to buy alex I didn't know I could put full exhaust on without fuel air issues.What is the difference between all the akro exhausts then I just want a stainless steel header system but theirs loads of models confusing.I will get someone to fit it though.Any recommended sites to buy from?my akro stubby is in mint condition with original bmw box and instruction manual so I guess I will advertise on here tomorrow.

Calsport are one of the cheapest uk places to get Akro exhausts, most other than the full race systems will still use the lambda sensors to adjust feeling.

Performance parts are the uk importer but will not offer any discount as they let cal sport discount, its a very strange set up but speaking to performance parts, aero will not let them discount as they are the importer ?

Last edited:
Akrapovič

The cheapest place to buy an Akrapovič full race system in the UK is Calsport as they will normally be able to offer some form of discount if called directly. With regards to fuel management you are best advised to put the bike on a Dyno after installation to check the A-F Ratio. Only then will you know whether or not the bike will need to be mapped accordingly. This is especially so if you are removing the Lambda sensors. From experience every time I've fitted a full system to any of my race or track bikes the fuelling has had to be adjusted.

I got mine from Performance Parts - I spotted it on eBay - think I got lucky with a stock clearance.
I have a Z-fi from Bazzaz fitted - and it makes everything better...but it will 'work' without it.
HM racing recommend I didn't change the filter on a road bike. This is because breathing gains are minimal and filtration is generally poorer than an OEM filter. For racing you'd probably want a Sprint P8 or 16 filter...or some chicken wire :p

right I am thinking of selling my akropovic stubby end can and replacing it with a full akro system.Is it worth the extra cost,i was worried about will I be covered by my insurance company as all full systems say not road legal.
I asked 2 or 3 insurers and they all said it was a no no if the system wasn't road legal. What the situation would be if you just fitted the akra headers with the road legal can I don't know.

Re: Akrapovič

The cheapest place to buy an Akrapovič full race system in the UK is Calsport as they will normally be able to offer some form of discount if called directly. With regards to fuel management you are best advised to put the bike on a Dyno after installation to check the A-F Ratio. Only then will you know whether or not the bike will need to be mapped accordingly. This is especially so if you are removing the Lambda sensors. From experience every time I've fitted a full system to any of my race or track bikes the fuelling has had to be adjusted.
okay thanks for info.

I asked 2 or 3 insurers and they all said it was a no no if the system wasn't road legal. What the situation would be if you just fitted the akra headers with the road legal can I don't know.
that is an interesting point,but I would assume the can stamped for road would be okay.Well them American cruisers Harley Davidson can pass anything can.I did have a duke panigale full race system and that passed mot so I cant see a problem with the bmw.

MOT and insurance are 2 different things. In the past I've had several bikes with not for road use full systems, but I wouldn't give an insurance company an excuse to deny all or part of a claim these days.

Quite true mate. But if mot declares them noise okay were do you stand with insurance? I guess if it passes the official mot standard then the insurance company has to go along with that.

Quite true mate. But if mot declares them noise okay were do you stand with insurance? I guess if it passes the official mot standard then the insurance company has to go along with that.

Not so saxon. The insurance companies are mindful of the fact that you are riding a bike with close to 200 bhp. If the performance is increased by the fitting of an exhaust system that has the potential to increase that further, they may increase your premium or even refuse cover. the worst thing you could do would be to not tell them of ANY changes you have made to the bike, even if they are only cosmetic changes. The reason being that if you "tart up" your bike, then it can make the bike more desirable, to crooks and therefor more of a risk to them.
When I re insured my other bike, a Yamaha FZ1, Carol Nash, my insurer wanted to know how much extra bhp my Akrapovic made before quoting for my renewal.:uncomfortableness:

You would guess wrong.

Exhausts

From an insurance point of view if the aftermarket exhaust (slip-on or full system) is performance enhancing in any way this could affect your insurance cover. Non-disclosure could result in the policy being voided by the insurer. As for MOT testing that's really only concerned with excessive noise and emissions.

What is road legal? Excerpts from the VCA (http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/additiona...icle-type-approval-for-motorcycles/vca039.pdf)
This is NOT the MOT.

Exhausts - Replacement Silencer (any silencer not fitted to the vehicle when it was originally manufactured). A replacement silencer for motorcycles and mopeds first used on or after 1 January 1985 must be constructed so that if it was fitted to an unused machine of the same model and date of first use, the machine would comply with the requirements of the Directive or British Standard applicable at that date. Silencers are also subject to a number of marking requirements. No machine used on the road may be fitted with a silencer marked ?Not For Road Use? or words to that effect. Similarly, any silencer fitted to a machine first used after 1 January 1985 must be clearly and indelibly marked as follows: Date of first use Marking

01/02/97 onwards ? Manufacturer?s name or mark, AND ?e? or ?E? mark with approval number, or ? BS AU 193a: 1990/T3, or ? Equivalent international standard marking.

The European Community noise limits applicable to new motorcycles first used from 1 April 1991 are:
Motorcycle Category by cm3 Limits in dB(A)
Above 175cm3 = 82db(A)
Motorcycles approved to EU Directive 97/24/EC, Chapter 9 will be 2dB(A) less than the above figures. Before buying any replacement parts for systems listed in this section, riders should check forthe relevant marks, where applicable. These will include an ?e? mark for EC Directives, an ?E?mark for ECE Regulations and ?BS? for British Standards.

So in a nutshell, ignoring the noise, EC marks mean road legal. But I've yet to see anyone check for them, they are far more bothered about condition and social impact. I have not noticed a "Not for road use" marking on mine either.

Akrapovic list a full system which is EC stamped - https://www.akrapovic.com/#!/motorcycle/products?brandId=44&modelId=377&phaseId=1
Plus plenty of slip-ons.

My insurer has pictures of my bike, they know exactly what's on there cause I spoke to the broker for an hour. No F's given about the exhaust because it was brand new and from a major manufacturer. They care about *peak* power changes. And at about 4hp I'm well under the 5% (9.8HP limit)...all the gains in the midrange are not factored in. They didn't ask if it had an EC stamp...so I didn't offer them one.

Last edited:
My insurer has pictures of my bike, they know exactly what's on there cause I spoke to the broker for an hour. No F's given about the exhaust because it was brand new and from a major manufacturer. They care about *peak* power changes. And at about 4hp I'm well under the 5% (9.8HP limit)...all the gains in the midrange are not factored in. They didn't ask if it had an EC stamp...so I didn't offer them one.
Like I said I've run full Akra systems in the past, and I've been tempted to run a set of headers with the official stubby Akra can I've got, but however you look at that it's a performance modification. And if said system hasn't got a catalytic converter fitted is it legal for road use ? TBH the bike is plenty fast enough and I don't fancy taking on an insurance company if things went badly wrong.

I

Like I said I've run full Akra systems in the past, and I've been tempted to run a set of headers with the official stubby Akra can I've got, but however you look at that it's a performance modification. And if said system hasn't got a catalytic converter fitted is it legal for road use ? TBH the bike is plenty fast enough and I don't fancy taking on an insurance company if things went badly wrong.

I
yep I think I will keep my catalytic converter as you said I couldn't do with the hassle of the insurance company not paying up if I ever had to put a claim in.

Back