What did you get in the post today?

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always interesting to see your pics Stuart. Especially the step by step ones.
Personally I?m pleased you opted the fit the sump without sealant.

I can feel a story coming on here!

I once had a truck into my workshop with a ?napping? noise from the engine. For the uninitiated, that?s a slight tapping noise, in this case at tick over.
After removing the cylinder head, sump, pistons and con rods, I found a piston had ?picked up?, again for the uninitiated, slightly seized.
On further investigation I found a tiny amount of silicone gasket sealant jammed into an oil cooling jet. By this, I mean an oil jet bolted inside the engine that directs oil under pressure to the underside of the piston crown in order to keep it cool.

This silicone sealant was apparently applied by the factory somewhere on the engine, when the engine was built. A tiny bIt had obviously squeezed itself into the inside of the engine and at sometime managed to break away and pump around the engine in the engine oil until it found a hole it couldn?t get through, namely this cooling jet!
As this type of sealant is rather ?rubbery?, I was ably to pull it out of the jet and clear the orifice ( nice word that )

So that?s a lesson I learned. Be sparing with this type of sealant. And remember, what you see squeezing out on the outside is probably doing just the same on the inside!
If you have to use it, use it sparingly, you only need the thinnest film.

Always interesting to see your pics Stuart. Especially the step by step ones.
Personally I?m pleased you opted the fit the sump without sealant.

I can feel a story coming on here!

I once had a truck into my workshop with a ?napping? noise from the engine. For the uninitiated, that?s a slight tapping noise, in this case at tick over.
After removing the cylinder head, sump, pistons and con rods, I found a piston had ?picked up?, again for the uninitiated, slightly seized.
On further investigation I found a tiny amount of silicone gasket sealant jammed into an oil cooling jet. By this, I mean an oil jet bolted inside the engine that directs oil under pressure to the underside of the piston crown in order to keep it cool.

This silicone sealant was apparently applied by the factory somewhere on the engine, when the engine was built. A tiny bIt had obviously squeezed itself into the inside of the engine and at sometime managed to break away and pump around the engine in the engine oil until it found a hole it couldn?t get through, namely this cooling jet!
As this type of sealant is rather ?rubbery?, I was ably to pull it out of the jet and clear the orifice ( nice word that )

So that?s a lesson I learned. Be sparing with this type of sealant. And remember, what you see squeezing out on the outside is probably doing just the same on the inside!
If you have to use it, use it sparingly, you only need the thinnest film.
Spot on RR, I wasn't in favour of using anything, you should always use sparingly, ideally apply with an artists brush very much lessens the chance of blocking a gallery.. Allen Millyard abides by that method... RTV is a nightmare to apply this way, but all to easy to apply too much..good story..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Not exactly in the post, but still.. Took delivery of my gen-4 sport with the race pack (and other bits). Very sad to trade my lovely gen-3 in against this one - it was soooo smooth and friendly. This one feels vibey and a bit lumpy - but I'm putting that down to it being new, and I'm hoping it settles down as I put some miles on. Well, when I can put miles on that is.. I found out the race pack comes with a 200 section rear 'racey type' tyre and the BMW chap told me to keep clear of damp/cold conditions .. bugger .. I guess the 1st purchase (other than the little tank bag bought from a forum member recently) will be a set of all-weather tyres.

IMG_5433.jpeg

It?s a better bike you won?t be disappointed,I was sad to see my Gen3 go but a sunny day on the Gen4 made me realise what a step up it is

Not exactly in the post, but still.. Took delivery of my gen-4 sport with the race pack (and other bits). Very sad to trade my lovely gen-3 in against this one - it was soooo smooth and friendly. This one feels vibey and a bit lumpy - but I'm putting that down to it being new, and I'm hoping it settles down as I put some miles on. Well, when I can put miles on that is.. I found out the race pack comes with a 200 section rear 'racey type' tyre and the BMW chap told me to keep clear of damp/cold conditions .. bugger .. I guess the 1st purchase (other than the little tank bag bought from a forum member recently) will be a set of all-weather tyres.

View attachment 5678

Nice one Freudy.. what did he mean about the 200 section/damp conditions, what rubber did it come with... not exactly encouraging comments lol..

Nice one Freudy.. what did he mean about the 200 section/damp conditions, what rubber did it come with... not exactly encouraging comments lol..

It came with Metzeler Racetec RR?s.. The BMW guy was just being nice I reckon - it was f&?*$Jing cold yesterday, so he recommended rain mode and told me to take it easy and to be very careful in cold/damp conditions. He explained that the tyres are excellent in the dry, but to be cautious otherwise. I did find that squeezing the front brake, without trying to do a stoppie, resulted in, what felt like, the abs kicking in .. a pulsing though the bars. Again, i?m putting any weirdness down to me for now at least :)

Could be warped discs already hahaha ! As if your going to screw its neck in bad weather, maybe they're as bad as Supercorsas in the wet..[emoji2]

Last edited:
e339e36cb2d46b1d296fc30681e215c7.jpg

231c24c45f578796b42700b3292661cf.jpg

New rearsets to match my levers and guard. [emoji6]

Finally got home from Portugal today, drove there in October...first piece of post I opened was this bad boy.

X-lite 803 Carbon RS Hot Lap
Managed to get it for ?345 from Helmet City, which is a stonking deal.
Clear and tinted visor included.

Aero should give me 5 seconds a lap [emoji23][emoji23]
7b5a1cc70705905a8cfe37d8d8323d55.jpg

20575a733d25f4220a72d6e1f39ff987.jpg

e30064e11cfc72afdf52028dc73c7d59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally got home from Portugal today, drove there in October...first piece of post I opened was this bad boy.

X-lite 803 Carbon RS Hot Lap
Managed to get it for ?345 from Helmet City, which is a stonking deal.
Clear and tinted visor included.

Aero should give me 5 seconds a lap [emoji23][emoji23]
7b5a1cc70705905a8cfe37d8d8323d55.jpg

20575a733d25f4220a72d6e1f39ff987.jpg

e30064e11cfc72afdf52028dc73c7d59.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Really liking the look of that!!

Think mine needs adjusting, doesn't close too easily with the pinlock on and feels like you have to lock it to keep it closed where I've never needed to lock my Shoei's.
Also the adjustment of the padding etc may be needed.

Think mine needs adjusting, doesn't close too easily with the pinlock on and feels like you have to lock it to keep it closed where I've never needed to lock my Shoei's.
Also the adjustment of the padding etc may be needed.

Alex, are you talking about an X-Lite. If so, there?s a rocker switch on the left side back edge. If that?s depressed downward it keeps the visor open a few mill to help with demisting. It can also be locked so when you?re barrel rolling through the gravel it doesn?t come open. I?ve got a few 802RR and 803?s now and never had to adjust them but you also have the slotted screws under the visor each side. J

Back