Whats the Best rear shock for s1000rr, K-tech or Maxton or Ohlins

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Fiecos dan

Hi,

My Dad has a 2010 BMW S1000rr, on stock suspension. which he is having lots of tire cold tare issue's on the rear,
- at most tracks including Snetterton, Donny, Cadwell, Brandshatch etc etc.
- Tyres tried - D211 Ntec's, D212 Ntec's, Interacts K2's, Diablo sc2's, Diablo SC2 slicks, K2 slicks.
- Tyre pressures - 18-25 psi hot on N-tec's, 18-32psi hot on interact K2's, sc2's, K2slicks and Sc2 slicks
- Different suspension setups to him, (Cresent, 100% suspension, and other setups tried)
- He is 102kg's, and is a fast trackdayer, and he also uses bike on road too. (1.41's at Cadwell, 51's Brands Indy, 2.24 at Silvers Arena to give you a idea of his lap times).
- He's uses 'Cap-it' tyre warmers, which are warming the tyres and rim up perfectly (80-85oC) before going out on track, and he's been making sure he gives the tyres plenty of time to get to good working temp before really pushing the power on corner exits.

And now have come to a conclusion that its a rear shock issue.

So i have looked into different options, and have got 3 options
- K-tech
- Maxton
- Ohlins TTX, down side no high speed comp adjuster and dearest
- He's not keen on Nitron or Bitubo (sp), due to feedback he's heard at trackside.

Any help of advice or feedback would be great. Cheers, Danny

Danny I would say either the Maxton or K Tech as these would be specifically built for your dads requirements. The Ohlins would have to be set up and probably re sprung which is more time and money.

I bought my Ohlins shock from Dan Kyle.

He asks for all the relevant info like riding type/speed and rider weight. It comes set up and sprung correctly. All I had to do was set the sag after install.

Forgive my ignorance but only time ive had tyre tear is on a cold tyre? Has suspension been set up exclusively for the rider? Are tyre warmers used? If not are tyres warmed up on track before giving it stick? Different tyres react differently, whats good for one is not necessarily good for another. .......

Hi, cheers all.
Yeah he's now got Cap-it tyre warmers, which are warming the tyres and rim up perfectly before going out on track, (80-85oC) and he's been recently making sure he gives the tyres plenty of time to get to good working temp before really pushing the power on corner exits.

At the moment its on completely stock suspension, but he's had Cresent and 100% suspension set it up to him, but has also treid different tweaks trying to cure the Cold tire tare.

As u haven't yet made a post introducing yourself. I'm left confused as to thinking why your dad isn't on here as it's his bike, what's with the third person side?

A friend of mine works for K-tech and does the suspension setups ect for WFR Honda, he says the ohlins stuff is good but the K-tech stuff is just as good for less money. He offered me a k-tech shock for £895 i managed to get an Ohlins for £50 cheaper.

He came to a Donington trackday to set my bike up and when he saw id bought the Ohlins he was pissed off. "why did'nt you get the K-tech shock off me?"

"I got this one for £50 less and its an Ohlins"

"Shit thats a good deal fair enough"

Another thing to consider. If you ever sell the bike, the Ohlins stuff will hold its value better on flea bay.

Just to throw in a couple more options: Bitubo and Mupo are both supposed to be top notch.

Docta13 link=topic=950.msg8853#msg8853 date=1339534530 said:
As u haven't yet made a post introducing yourself. I'm left confused as to thinking why your dad isn't on here as it's his bike, what's with the third person side?

Hi,

I found this website last night, on google searching BMW rear shocks. So i registered. :)

My Name is Danny Campion. I'm 30 years old, and i Race in Bemsee on my 2007 R1.

My Dad is Mario Campion, 55years old. He used to race competively at club level circuit racing in 1977-82 era. And now is the instructor at Lydden Hill race track in Kent, and does his fair share of trackdays. And the poor old git is abit behind the times, and struggles with computers.

Godzilla link=topic=950.msg8855#msg8855 date=1339569968 said:
Another thing to consider. If you ever sell the bike, the Ohlins stuff will hold its value better on flea bay.

Just to throw in a couple more options: Bitubo and Mupo are both supposed to be top notch.

Cheers, Never heard of Mupo. And he's not keen on Bitubo, as even tho they look really smart, we've heard from few people that the build quality isn't to Ohlins, some people in the racing scene dont get on with the feel, and to be honest its not British (so could be hard to get parts in the future).

Out of interest what times does your dad put in around Lydden? :)

Ah yes, I've met your dad. He was going to take me round Lydden (I've never done a track day) and keep me safe from the other riders... but then another rider took my friend out so I had to take him to A&E! :(

Interesting to hear about the Nitrons as that is what I was going to get fitted. Think another post might be in order.

Fiecos dan link=topic=950.msg8857#msg8857 date=1339573083 said:

Hi,

I found this website last night, on google searching BMW rear shocks. So i registered. :)

My Dad is Mario Campion, 55years old. He used to race competively at club level circuit racing in 1977-82 era. And now is the instructor at Lydden Hill race track in Kent, and does his fair share of trackdays. And the poor old git is abit behind the times, and struggles with computers.

Hi Dan, seen you rag yr r1 at lydden, lookin good :eek: . welcome to the site. Chatting to Mario a while back, seems he was rear ended? Did you get yr brakes fixed? ::)

Ive not seen noise checks at lydden (some supermotos were LOUD) until last weekend at a car meeting, they were checking every one on way back into pit lane.

Ducky link=topic=950.msg8986#msg8986 date=1339780694 said:
Out of interest what times does your dad put in around Lydden? :)
Hi,

My dad' s very best was in 2006 on His 2006 R1 sp at 44.26. But he seemed to loose he's way over the years, (tarmac/grip at Lydden has got alot worse since 06) and he started to give up on his dream of a 43, but this year he's come back strong after a arm injury, and 2 trackdays ago he managed 44.4's on his BMW tagging onto me. :), which is his best lap time for 5-6 years, and i've been trying to get him motivated to get his target. which no doult he will this year once bikes sorted and he gets himself in a good rythem.

My best was last month at 43.07, but on a trackday its impossible to get a good flowing lap in at a busy trackday, as last thing i wont to do is upset another rider etc.

Hanna link=topic=950.msg8995#msg8995 date=1339790832 said:
Ah yes, I've met your dad. He was going to take me round Lydden (I've never done a track day) and keep me safe from the other riders... but then another rider took my friend out so I had to take him to A&E! :(

Interesting to hear about the Nitrons as that is what I was going to get fitted. Think another post might be in order.

Hi,

shame you had to go to hospital, will you be coming back to Lydden, as to be fair, my dad helped me no end in 2009 on my 1st trackday, always best to start steady, and build up smoothly, which will always be faster and safer. :).

bananaman link=topic=950.msg8996#msg8996 date=1339792987 said:
Fiecos dan link=topic=950.msg8857#msg8857 date=1339573083 said:

Hi,

Hi Dan, seen you rag yr r1 at lydden, lookin good :eek: . welcome to the site. Chatting to Mario a while back, seems he was rear ended? Did you get yr brakes fixed? ::)

Hello mate.

:-(, Yeah i fixed the brakes after i took my Dad out, and was back on track after 2 hours, but my Dad wasn't so lucky, as only in the last 2 months he's been able to ride at usual pace, as when i knocked him off, his shoulder was badly damaged, and ended up of 6 months of crap and pain for him, But he's back now, which is good. :)

fatbob link=topic=950.msg8997#msg8997 date=1339831695 said:
Do you have noise issues at lydden ?

yeah the noise limit ias 105dB, but over the years i've only seen them test only the extremely loud bikes.

Fiecos dan link=topic=950.msg9065#msg9065 date=1340010175 said:
Hi,

shame you had to go to hospital, will you be coming back to Lydden, as to be fair, my dad helped me no end in 2009 on my 1st trackday, always best to start steady, and build up smoothly, which will always be faster and safer. :).

Just to be clear, I didn't go to A&E! My bike didn't get off the trailer in the end.

The issue I have with Lydden is the number of riders in the novice group and the SuperMoto riders in the group. I.e. there are quite a lot of riders and the SuperMoto guys make me very nervous, even as a spectator!

Lydden have done Novice days before, so if your intrested, give them a call and they will put your name down, and then let you know of the next one.

Lydden is as good s it gets really for novices, as the whole track can near enough by Alan the Chef marshall, and any naughty's get noticed and sorted very quickly.
Being a novice, its the riders doing the over taking to take control, so the best thing for a slower rider to do, is ride to thier speed, using the correct racing lines and being consistant and safe with the lines, then any one over taking can do so safely with out upsetting the slower rider. :)

Back