Some bedtime reading

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soofsayer

Forum Admin
Reaction score
My very supportive wife has bought me this to do some research for my travels next year. Doing a trip to the Algarve in July and another trip probably in September to a MotoGP (tbd). Can't wait !

141876e15109a05310d32ef3f5a7b8fc.jpg

She just wants him out of the way :p

Interested in what plans you make Andy ;)

I bet she does, I'm happy to oblige.

I'm doing the Portugal trip solo early July there and back, going to take a few days each way with the family holiday sandwiched in the middle for 2 weeks. Just need to work out a route and stops, perfecto!

The MotoGP trip was something that came to me over the weekend. I was at a do called the Firecracker Ball on Saturday and put in a very high, very drunken bid on a VIP hospitality weekend for 2 as guests of the Honda Gresini Team at any of the MotoGP races (subject to availability). The idea being I'd make a road trip of it there and back. Woke up on Sunday with the hangover from hell cursing myself for bidding so much (way to much). When I fell into the taxi to go home I thought I'd won it. Turns out someone else beat me to it at the death of the auction, for which I am very grateful. But I'm going to pursue the idea, perhaps without the VIP bit. It's probably going to be September, so it's either Misano or Aragon. I need to look at routes/roads etc but anyone is welcome to tag along if they want to.

Looks like both Aragon and Misano are 16hrs away...but I would guess Misano would make a more picturesque trip (no offence to the Pyrenees meant :) ). 4-6 days of travel (there & back) and 2 down there? Could be good - and September is usually still warm.

We did the run down to Misano in 2 days this year, but 3 would have been better, to enjoy the scenery a bit more, would recommend going via Belgium / Luxembourg / Germany/ Austria, once you get down to Verona, the motorway to Misano is probably the best bet, we got a reasonable hotel near the beach about 11/2 mile walk to the circuit. I'd have a leisurely run down and maybe get there Thursday Friday and leave Monday after the race as it is really end of season and quiet after. We managed to fit the B500 in both ways and the Stelvio and Timmeljoch passes in. All in all good week but wasn't well received at home as it was about 10 days in all or 2 weeks as my wife says!

I did Aragon in September this year and it was perfect. We took a week and caught ferry to Santander before spending some time in Picos de Europa which are absolutely stunning. Then cut across to the race. Was perfect temperature except for... top tip... don't ride to the race in your leathers if you plan to spend the day in them at the track. Jeeeeeees it was hot! Next time I'll catch a taxi from the hotel.

Enjoy the trip Andy, be careful about riding buddies, everyone has different ideas about time in the saddle, where, when to stop, smokers vs. non smokers. A really good friendship can start to fray a little with strong characters together for an extended period of time. I know I'm not the easiest person to be around on a trip abroad, 3 of us went to North Africa I came back alone, same 3 to Ireland I came back alone.
I've just went solo since then, I will be riding through the Arctic circle in September en route to Thailand or I might have met up with you and made you regret posting the invite. LOL

JimmyMac

Enjoy the trip Andy, be careful about riding buddies, everyone has different ideas about time in the saddle, where, when to stop, smokers vs. non smokers. A really good friendship can start to fray a little with strong characters together for an extended period of time. I know I'm not the easiest person to be around on a trip abroad, 3 of us went to North Africa I came back alone, same 3 to Ireland I came back alone.
I've just went solo since then, I will be riding through the Arctic circle in September en route to Thailand or I might have met up with you and made you regret posting the invite. LOL

JimmyMac

LOL I was thinking earlier - maybe meeting the far side of the Alps would be safer...leaving me to find out if I can keep the bike running that long!

To be honest I think Andy's seen me at my worst on the side of the A1 in a downpour - effing, jeffing and being more than a little concerned about the lack tread on my tyres to handle the amount of rain let alone the restarting over and over. Wasn't a good moment, but I guess it was a unique set of circumstances which I will not be repeating.

Having the right gear on the bike and the person is the key to a good trip. No showy guff just practical common sense prep.

JimmyMac

You are absolutely right Jimmy. It's taken me a while to admit, but I'm a nightmare to tour with so anyone wanting to tag along "I'll meet you there", ;). Lol.

Just for info, all the routes in the magazine are available as gpx files from their website foc.

JimmyMac
Cmon we all know you actually killed all your riding buddies Jimmy..then made up this mad story about them stopping for a fag and getting abducted !

Sent from Galaxy S7

Interesting that this has come up. It was suggested last night to do a week trip to Andorra via Santander and ride through the Picos next September.

It'll be my first ever trip on the bike outside of the UK and one of any decent mileage too. I've never owned luggage and I'm totally inexperienced at this so will be after some tips and advice from you all over the coming months.

The group up to now consists of a Triumph Explorer whose done this journey before (and many others) so that's a plus and my Dad whose 72 and plods along on his Bandit 650 so in all will be an interesting trip.

As for me I'm lucky to get 100 miles in before I need a chiropractor to peel me from the BM but never say never.

hmm Andorra and the Picos are in different directions from Santander, although I'm sure you could cover them both, if you're heading towards Andorra - the roads round Ainsa are nice and the dos rios is good hotel.
Ventura luggage is recommended most of my chums and I use it.

Santander crossing can be a bit horrible - I've only used it once, but we had gales across Biscay and it all got a bit messy, it's also billed as a mini cruise so you get bingo in the bar. the 2 that rode down did it in the same time although it's a couple of long days to ride.

but it will be fun!

I'm booked on the 'mini cruise'. Last time I did the journey it was over 20 years ago, back then I doubled and then subsequently lost all of my dinner money on the blackjack table lol.

Thanks Mike - not sure when we take in the Picos but we're heading to Pamplona and our base is near Viella just off the N-230. Ferry is now booked for September 3rd sailing from Plymouth.

As for luggage the BM has the rear seat cowl and an exhaust hanger (no pillion footrests) so what are my options for a decent fit/secureness without having to worry if it's still on the back, leaning off or sliding forward?

Ventura will go on no probs bolts on where the pegs used to, and a cross piece on the back 2 mounts for the tail tidy. rack on backwards sits over the pillion area so no probs there.

N230 is a good road enjoy it

Back