Bump start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Left it in yesterday to have the rocker head gasket replaced and to have a look at the starting issue
He said the hot hands were pulling an awful lot from the battery so I'm going to stop using them for a while to see if that helps
Another €375, it's costing me a small fortune lately

Left it in yesterday to have the rocker head gasket replaced and to have a look at the starting issue
He said the hot hands were pulling an awful lot from the battery so I'm going to stop using them for a while to see if that helps
Another €375, it's costing me a small fortune lately

Can you not get the OEM heated grips fitted Powders, I know Malic got his HP4 done by the dealers in East Kilbride after another dealer told him it couldn't be done. They only produced one loom so the wiring will be in your bike already.

JimmyMac

I did enquire about them last year and was told they couldn't be retro fitted to a first generation
I then bought r&g ones and they wouldn't fit, something about the throttle tube, so In the end bought the hot hands. Still not 100% sure if that's the problem but I'll leave them off for a while and see

It's unlikely to be the hot hands at fault, if removing them makes it better (doubtful) then that would suggest an underlying fault, your bike shouldn't struggle to run heated grips. Let us know how it goes..

Started no problem this morning, drove to work turned it off and it wouldn't start again, left it for a few minutes and then it started
Think your right Stephen, it's more than likely the starter motor, is it a big job to get to it and can it be cleaned or do I need a new one

Started no problem this morning, drove to work turned it off and it wouldn't start again, left it for a few minutes and then it started
Think your right Stephen, it's more than likely the starter motor, is it a big job to get to it and can it be cleaned or do I need a new one

It's not the simplest job, you may want to have it done at the shop, removing it and replacing is simple enough but if you wanted to try fix the original you'd have to strip it...

Here is where it's located..
e6097f0e5e3a82acfc50122132f3d61d.png

OK quick update
Left bike in today to get new( actually second hand from eBay) starter motor fitted.
He opened up the old one and couldn't see any sign of corrosion inside, it all looked as it should. He fitted the new one anyway but is not 100% convinced that was the problem. Time will tell
If it's not the battery or starter motor what else could
it be ?

Help - guys my battery just run flat after not riding for just 4 days!!! The warranty company sent out someone to jump start it but they said they wouldn?t do it unless I sign a disclaimer (That if the ECU burns out...basically they would not be liable)

Is there problems with ECU when jump starting the bike?

Its a shame cos I was looking forward to the trackday today at Brands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not usually a problem, but they are just covering themselves.

Sounds like your battery is failed if it is fully discharged in 4 days.

Last edited:
Hi Kojo.Bee, as Soofsayer has mentioned the recovery company are just covering themselves in case of any electrical issues that could be attributed to them, hence the disclaimer.

Any jump start from a large car battery or booster pack could damage sensitive electronics by putting too much current into a circuit.
Jump starting your bike from another bike is the best way and it will not damage any components on either bike if done correctly.

First have both bikes close to each other engines off.
Connect RED lead to +ve on good battery and then flat battery.
BLACK lead to -ve on good battery and then flat battery.

Wait a couple of minutes and start engine on good bike, then start engine of flat bike.

Leave running and connected for 10 minutes and shut off both engines.
Then remove the cables in the reverse order, i.e. Black leads off first.

NEVER remove the cables with the engines running as this is what can damage the electronics of any vehicle.

Hope you get it going and don't miss your trackday.

JimmyMac

Last edited:
Thanks very much guys. Too late now, they?ve sent it off but I know for next time. And also whilst there I can get them to check if there is a load on the battery because its a new-ish battety and always starts first time without any hesitation so to die out suddenly like that is a bit strange

are you talking about bump or jump start? they are tricky to bump start due to slipper clutch

Jump Start. apparently it?s relatively common, so those recovery guys in the know would let you know and ask if you want to sign a disclaimer (at your risk obviously)

Let us know how you go and what the issue is.
Currently having a similar issue with my 2016 and they still can?t find the (seemingly intermittent) fault after 2 weeks at the dealers. FFS.

Hi Guys,

So it was the USB charger that was draining the battery. I connected it directly to the battery. Apparently its better to connect it so that its only active when the ignition is turned on. Not sure how to do that though. If anyone knows please let me know. If not i?ll look into it this weekend.

@Kojo.Bee if you PM @Stephen he can supply you with a Can-Bus accessory lead to charge peripherals.

I have one for my iPhone and it works very well [emoji41]

- Oli

Back