Bump start

S1000RR  FORUM

Help Support S1000RR FORUM:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powders

Reaction score
Hi all
Had to make a stop off on way to work this morning and when I tried to re start my bike it wouldn't start
Tried to bump start it myself - no joy
Got two big polish fellas to push me also - nothing
I've always managed to start all my bikes by bump starting them but that's twice now in the last year I haven't been able to with the bmw
Had to call out a recovery van who jumped started it.
While I was waiting for them I phoned around bike shops to see if they had a battery in stock. Phoned my local bmw shop and they quoted me ?165
Drove to another independent and they had one for ?85
Anyway the question is can you bump start them ?

I think the problem with bmws is the canbus. If the bike can't see enough voltage it won't prime the fuel pump or any of the electrics so effectively nothing is going to happen. Someone more technical may be able to elaborate.

When you say it wouldn't start, did it turn over at all or do nothing when you pressed the starter button, did the dash go off/on etc?

I've bump started mine Powders. The battery wasn't 100% flat but didn't have enough charge to turn the starter. Luckily I live on quite a steep hill and rolled up to a fair speed before dumping the clutch. Got it going second try.

Hope you get to the bottom of your problem, twice in a year is a bummer.

JimmyMac

The battery was the original bmw one and the bikes an '11 so it was definitely time for a new one
Turned key on all dash lights etc came on and headlight but don't think I heard the fuel pump
Hit the starter and all the lights faded and didn't sound like it was going to start
It was 1 degree when I was leaving this morning so the heated grips were on and the recovery man said with the cold snap lately he's been flat out with dead batteries
It started straight away with his jump starter so I went straight to my local bike shop and got a new one.
Have started it probably 4-5 times since and it jumps into life
Jimmy, your a better man than me starting it on your own
I was wrecked and the two polish lads looked like they were going to have a cardiac

Hi powders,

What has been suggested is correct as far as we are aware. If the voltage is below a certain amount (unable to find out specifically at the mo) the can bus will not allow it to power the fuel pump.
The draw to turn on the combi unit (dash) is so minimal that it will normally illuminate. If it ever doesn't turn the dash on, we would then be looking at terminals or be checking the big 30a fuse.
As you mentioned a 2011 battery would be due a change, we suggest a three to five year life span, but it does all come down to usage and whether it is kept on a conditioner etc etc.

Best regards,

Tim.

I'm no Superman Powders, it is a very steep hill I stay on, you can probs be doing 40-50 by the time your at the bottom, freewheeling. If it never started you'd need a tow back to the house.

Is the bike ok now?

JimmyMac

Whilst having the electrical glitch...it bump started at 80 just fine...problem was I was doing 60 by the time I'd finished...on a mway... :eek:

- Sent from Mobile

Update
Left for work this morning and bike fired up no problem
Ten miles in stopped off to get petrol
came out and Bike wouldn't start
Tried it loads of times, nothing
Left it for 10min or so tried it one last time before I called out the recovery man again, it started no problem.
Anyone any ideas ?
It's driving me mad

Could be the hot start issue with the loom. BMW would be able to fix it if thats the case.

Outside chance it is the switchgear.

My next guess would be the starter switch. I have come across this a couple of times before *cough*.

That would be my next suggestion after the battery. Quick question though, when you were trying it at the fuel station did the lights dim or anything happen when you pushed the starter button?

If it did, I'd rule out the switch. If it was like nothing was happening then id be aiming towards the switch.

All the best,

Tim.

When I hit the starter the dash lights would fade or go out.
Didn't get any noise. Only bought a new battery a couple of weeks ago
Both times its happened lately I had my Oxford hot hands on, not sure if that's a coincidence or not.

Not wired in just connected to battery terminals
I stopped at pump and turned them off
Came out a couple of minutes later and it wouldn't start
I'm going to leave them off for the time being
Bikes booked in on Saturday to get a new rocker head gasket fitted, it's leaking oil also, so I'll ask him to have a look at it

I dont think they are the issue then if the bike started after being left for a while.

Please post your update when they have fixed it !

If it struggles when hot but it's okay once it's cooled it could be the starter motor..
I've not seen it on an S but it's not an uncommon issue on some bikes. Usually due to corrosion or the magnets may have come loose.

Latest posts

Back